I've been clean for a month

Had a little run in with my old drug of choice, meth. Was using for a couple months. But I finally came to my senses and quit again and it’s been a little over a month now. I had about 6 years under my belt and 15 years under my belt before that. It’s a tough one for me for sure.

8 Likes

Meth wasn’t really around in my youth when I took drugs, so never had it. Is it just hyped up amphetamine? like crack is hyped up cocaine?

I’m not interested in having it, but just wondered.

It is used for chemsex these days isn’t it?

Well done for staying clean!

1 Like

Well interestingly the stuff that they are peddling these days is so weak I don’t even know what it’s made out of. But back in the day it was amphetamine. And yes I guess people use it for sex, I don’t know what chemsex is. And thank you, it’s been a hard month.

2 Likes

Good luck staying clean @Leaf . I know you can resist. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you @Bowens I really feel like I got it out of my system. I don’t want it that much now. I just want to be clean.

1 Like

Congratulations. Do you go to NA meetings?

1 Like

Much love leafy!

1 Like

No. Back in 1995, the first time I got clean I quit on my own and I never used a 12 step program. I stayed clean for 15 years. I would consider going but I don’t have transportation and most of the people here that go are going as part of their court ordered treatment requirement and are still using anyway. I know this by word of mouth in this small community that I live in. I feel like they make a mockery out of the meetings here.

1 Like

The substance abuse councilor with my psychiatric care provider used to take a van full of clients to NA meetings every Monday. I went for alcohol abuse. Sorry to hear of the trouble with your NA meetings, and that you don’t have transportation. I don’t have transportation other than the public bus, so I just been going to the AA meeting at my psychiatric care provider’s facilities.

1 Like

They have NA/AA meeting on zoom now if you ever needed/wanted to go

I hate to ask this question. But do you think the drugs are truly weaker. Or maybe your meds block them. It Doesn’t matter at the end of the day. But it’s possible. Adderall didn’t really do nothing to me on my meds. But maybe it was the naltrexone not the abilify

2 Likes

I could do one on one substance abuse counseling at mental health. I would have to admit to them that I had been using. I don’t know that I want to open up that can of worms. They’ll be all worried and thinking about changing my meds. I don’t want any changes, I just effed up. I just want to put it behind me and keep things as is.

1 Like

I was partying with an experienced user who also was complaining about how weak the stuff was. I mean I was sleeping and eating normally for the most part.

2 Likes

In my case, I had a alcoholic blackout and broke my finger. They asked me how I did it, and I told them I got drunk Saturday night, woke up Sunday morning, and didn’t know how I broke it. My case manager talked me into going to NA Mondays.

1 Like

Probably so then.

How did it ever go with naltrexone??? Did it not work so well?

Here’s an article about how it affects amphetamine I looked it up

https://www.nature.com/articles/1301572

1 Like

Good for you @Leaf. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to kick meth. Well done. :blush:

1 Like

I know Abilify helped some with my urges to drink. My mood swings evened out, and being on a down triggers me to drink. I just started taking Cymbalta two or three weeks ago, and it helps a lot too.

1 Like

No, I could never get the opiates out of my system long enough to try it. But now I’m not on opiates either. lol, God I’m a mess.

1 Like

True. It’s not easy getting off meth.

2 Likes

Thank you @Sezbot241

1 Like

It’s something to consider now if you don’t need the opiates anymore. I’m sure I overhype it but it’s literally saved my life over and over and doesn’t let me down to this day

5.5 years taking it not missed one day.

I started it mid December of 2015

No real bad side effects

And does wonders for all addiction

And doctors when I say to them now I say “people tell me it doesn’t help with mental health and only addiction”. The doctor say “whoever says this is FOS”.

1 Like