It's just me and the squirrels

As I’m sitting here in the kitchen, I’m enjoying watching the squirrels run amok. There are 3 in the backyard right now, munching on acorns. We have a nice oak tree that drops 4 billion acorns an hour, and they’re just snacking on them. Sometimes they’re kind of comical because they will chase each other up and around the tree at full tilt, in the pattern of a barber pole or a candy cane. All the other wildlife has left for the winter, but it’s common to see a lot of deer along the roads at night. I creep very slowly through those areas at night when driving so I don’t whack one. They’re daring - they come right to the curb. Stupid deer. Anyone else enjoying the wonders of nature from home?

9 Likes

I wish I had more contact with nature like that. That sounds really cool. My highlight of the week was seeing a butterfly almost landing on my shoulder.

1 Like

During the summer we had a lot of bunnies. I called them all “Peter Cottontail.” Something not so pleasant happened a month or so ago - a squirrel was running along the top of the fence and fell off. The neighbor’s dog was right there and pounced on it, grabbing it and shaking it violently. I ran out of the house yelling at the dog, but it was too late. I alerted the neighbor, and she got a stick and heaved the body over the back fence away from the dog. Watched a stray cat kill a squirrel too. That was in June or July. I hated watching those little squirrels getting killed, but what can you do? It’s just animals being animals.

Love watching squirrels.

For us it’s still Raccoons… my sis still feeds them… I wish she wouldn’t… they are starting to colonize the beach… I can’t find my sister’s picture of her Raccoon army… but it’s starting to look like this…

9 Likes

Yeah, nature is like that. I watched a dog, a german shepard of a neighbour eat a live chicken once. It scared me, I was very young. My cat used to bring me dead birds as presents, thank yous. :smile: Once a bird flew in to my house and he chased it, leaving feathers everywhere. We eventually found the bird hiding traumatized on one of the bedrooms. My exboyfriend set the bird free.

Bunnies are sweet, I used to see a lot of them in my country home but now not so much. There’s boars though, lots of them.

4 Likes

There’s a juniper tree out back where some squirrels live or come to eat the berries. Someone told me they get drunk on them - that gin is made from juniper berries. They get pretty frisky frisky at times. Once I saw one laid out in the sun. Maybe squirrels always do that, but I’ve never seen them, though I’ve never looked in a tree 3 stories up.

3 Likes

I had two bunnies as pets some years ago. One was a Holland Lop, and was so stinking cute. They were a bonded pair, and their original owner had just died (she was an old lady), and the bunnies were devastated, especially the Holland Lop. He would poop in his tray and just sit in it. I had to pick him up and clean his behind and try to hand-feed him. He was so unhappy. Eventually he turned it around, but he was damaged goods. Poor little guy.

4 Likes

Aww. Poor thing. Good on you for taking such good care of him. I had turtles, one commited suicide unwillingly, jumped off a 14 story building. The other one lived well for a lot of years and then was vacuumed by a house keeper while hibernating under the couch. Then I had cats and dogs, must take care of a bunny one day, some friends of mine had bunnies and they were wonderful companions.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

It’s definitely not sad. It’s cool. I wish I could take some pleasure in watching nature more often

You’re being to hard on yourself. The fact that you experience pleasure in that is good. I have a hard time feeling pleasure about anything.

I live in the middle of a big city, we have stray cats here, and sometimes I give food to the ladies that feed the cats. Once a month or so I go to my home in the country side and there I take big walks and watch the birds in my back yard.

2 Likes

freaking lucky you…how did you manage to get all that?

8 Likes

5 Likes

What, cats and dogs? I had three dogs and five cats not all at once

When I first got my own place, things got out of hand. My boyfriend and I ended up with two hamsters, two rabbits, two hedgehogs, a guinea pig, a rotating crew of foster and permanent cats, a dog.

Took a long time to rehome everyone properly. Lessons learned, I cannot care for every adorable thing. I’m responsible for two cats now and that is more than enough.

2 Likes