Is self diagnosis valid?

What are your thoughts on self diagnosis, of schizophrenia or otherwise? In my opinion self diagnosis is valid, there are so many barriers to getting properly diagnosed by a professional. Time, money, finding a pdoc willing to listen, etc.

Just curious your thoughts

4 Likes

Yea but how can you get prescription meds then?

6 Likes

I never would have been able to diagnose my self with schizophrenia because I did not have insight and was in denial that I had it even after I learned my diagnosis. It took me a long time to accept my diagnosis.

13 Likes

Yea same for me.

6 Likes

I might as well resort to self diagnoses
The doctors have a hard time

2 Likes

For personality disorders it is documented that only SPD can accurately self-diagnose, with reliable consistency. For non-SPD I read that accuracy is around 40%. Consequently it makes sense that SPD can also accurately diagnose others. I believe that I can accurately diagnose.

2 Likes

Hi @Ribbon
Did you have a different username in the past?

2 Likes

I thought I had DID, so it wouldn’t have worked in my case.

1 Like

Other than the fact that I’ve been wrong at least half the time and a couple of them really would have screwed me up if my wife hadn’t dragged me in to see a real doctor…

…I THINK IT’S GREAT!!!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s rare but not unheard of. I think there’s some serious issues with it. People with a mental illness or psychosis aren’t really in a stable state of self reflection and delusional thought isn’t valid either. Just my thoughts. I’m a fan of good psychiatrists. It really is a trade and very much an art in itself.

3 Likes

Self diagnosis has its uses. Like advocating for yourself in treatment or just wanting to better understand yourself. But it’s not usually accurate. I thought I had bipolar, which I do but I never thought I had schizoaffective.

1 Like

Theres certain conditions where you could diagnose yourself with sz and not have it. I’m thinking things like psychosomatic illness, hypochondriasis, selfdiagnosis can lead to malingering, or you could have a temporary psychotic condition caused by drugs or stressful event.

2 Likes

I think self-diagnosis is dangerous.

I think the internet has significantly increased the prevalence of self-diagnosis. In fact, there is a term for using the internet to self-diagnose: cyberchondria.

Furthermore, using the internet to self-diagnose is dangerous because searches are based on key words and algorithms. For example, an internet search for “headache” will yield results of “brain tumor” and “caffeine withdrawal.”

I think it’s safer to work with a psychiatrist regarding diagnosis.

3 Likes

I think it’s okay to say things like “I think I have schizophrenia” or “I might have ADHD”, but not full on claim to have an actual diagnosis when no authority has confirmed it.

1 Like

IMO doctors are not magic. They train for a number of years and are far more skilled but there’s tons of information now a days and if a person knows enough about the disease and themselves ofcourse they can know whether they have something or not.

It’s ofcourse good to get the doctor opinion because he’s better at diagnosing but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell you if you’re hearing voices that you have schizophrenia

1 Like

Weeeeell not to be “that guy”, but hearing voices doesn’t necessarily mean schizophrenia.
Trauma, depression, brain tumor, bpd, autism, all things that can include hearing voices

5 Likes

My personal experience with doctors hasn’t been good.
Here is my list of diagnosis I’ve been given since the age of 15:

Add
Defiance Disorder
Depression
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Drug Induced Psychosis
Psychosis
Schizophrenia

Since I’ve seen so many doctors with so many opinions, I have to decide which diagnosis fits me best. I think I have complex post traumatic Stress disorder that has manifested itself into schizophrenia. Basically being locked up, beat and starved as a child made my brain a bit different.

1 Like

I was convinced mine was just PTSD and depression. Took me being in the hospital for the better part of a year to believe that maybe it was more than that.

Self diagnosis is valid in some situations, like adult women with autism, but things where you’ll need to be medicated I don’t think fits that. Because you can’t write your own prescriptions. However, going in to get diagnosed with knowledge and an opinion is totally fine.

1 Like

I think self diagnoses can be valid if you are self aware and with it. About a year ago my pdoc wanted to put me on an antidepressant but I said no and told him I wasn’t depressed. I have had really bad depression in the past but no longer, so I know what I am talking about. In that instance I was right. i don’t know why he thought I was depressed or need and antidepressant. I haven’t been on an antidepressant in about 3-4 years and I feel fine. i don’t need one.

2 Likes

I self diagnosed myself with schizoaffective bipolar type, at the age of 23. My counselor didn’t take me seriously and I cried after the appointment. I just knew in my head & heart that I found my diagnosis. I had done lots of research. So, I searched for a psychiatrist who had specific expertise in psychotic disorders. She did end up diagnosing me with what I knew I already had.

In my opinion, self diagnosis is valid as long as you eventually get backed up by a doctor.

To be fair, my mom was diagnosed as schizophrenic and my older sister was diagnosed as bipolar 1, at the time. That’s why I started researching. And when I found schizoaffective bipolar type, I just was like, OMG, that’s me.

2 Likes