Is self diagnosis valid?

It took me six years to figure out the doctors were right. No way I could have diagnosed myself. I didn’t even know what schizophrenic was.

2 Likes

As a nurse, I believe that the average public is totally untrained for and incapable of either self diagnosis or diagnosis of others. Sometimes they might get lucky and diagnose themselves correctly but that isn’t usual.

Diagnosis is the job of M.D.'s only.

2 Likes

I diagnosed myself. I had delusions - a lot of them - suddenly; it was this huge wave of nonsensical crap, mostly. I had a weird sensory hallucination, at the IRS; it was a vaginal one, which was very disturbing and weird. I developed auditory hallucinations, months after quitting my IRS job; I thought that if I quit that job, my mental health would improve, but it got much worse, for a while.

I was aware that something was wrong, though, almost immediately. So, I self-diagnosed relatively early in.

2 Likes

same, took a long time to accept it… they said i had it but i didn’t really see it… but now after all those years i slowly come to get some insight.

3 Likes

No. You are not trained to diagnose so it doesn’t mean anything.
And similarly a doctor can’t diagnose himself with something either.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.