Is recovery a lifelong process from sz?

Semantics, semantics!

I know in aa you’re never “recovered” but “in recovery”. Is it the same from sz, or can you recover completely?

1 Like

Depends on type and the person i guess…when you feel greeat do you notice it as much? Or just deal witth it better?

No I don’t notice it much. Of course taking meds is a “part of” recovery…so I guess that always entails.

I’m just interested in the semantics of “recovering from sz” :slight_smile:

Do we recover or do we merely go into remission?

1 Like

Your recovery would be diff than mine…as most of us would be…i think spectrum illnesses have diff recovery levels…some are immune to the pills…ect ect. So your question is broad lol…

Probably the latter!!

1 Like

I have a feeling it’s remission for me, but that’s still some form of recovery.

And if I slip back into psychosis, I have the support and experience behind me next time so hopefully it would be an easier ride than the last couple of times.

I don’t want to sound too negative though.

We can reach stages in recovery. For example, living on your own is typically the last stage, especially if you are working full time.

I study full time, does that count? But part of studying is research, which involves other people and computers and opinions and politics, not just books and articles and databases. I prefer just learning and then turning around and actually doing what I just learned.

Today I had to ■■■■ with a computer and make it do ■■■■ and then had to consult geek squad and then they even took two hours to do it, and they’re good. I did that after doing research this morning. I have to take breaks from dealing with certain people and things. It’s summer so I am not under much pressure. That, and getting this crap published will be goodbye to research until my dissertation in four years.

2 Likes

I mean I do thing that is in a different category than where I was four years ago…but it’s all about traits we have, not stages we are in. Traits determine stuff, categories are like stages.

I consider complete recovery from Sz to not be needing meds and being able to remember my personal hygiene. So, I’d say my condition is well-managed, but I’m not recovered.

2 Likes

In my opinion recovery is s process. I was diagnosed with sz 34 years ago and I feel
like I’m still in recovery. For me recovery is a life long endeavor. That begs the question I think what is recovery? To me it’s not becoming normal again as some people think but rather getting in touch with your true authentic self and being all that u are meant to be. Good luck on your recovery! :v:

1 Like

Good luck with the research mort! Share with us any insights u learn about sz!

If you asked me 3 years ago I’d have said yes. BUT now I’ve finally accepted this is a life long illness. So I believe it can be managed with consistent effort

2 Likes

According to some facts that I’ve think I’ve read on this site and others there are something like 15 or 25 percent of sz “recover”. They don’t go into specifics on what this entails. I like to believe that some people are lucky in that they never have hallucinations again. That and there is another percent of people that do have hallucinations and live on their own.

1 Like

I research schizophrenia occasionally on the web.
I’ve seen statistics that claim total recovery is possible.
And I’ve seen statistics that say no one can completely recover…

My personal opinion is that no one can completely recover. I think once a schizophrenic experiences psychosis, that the damage is done and it changes us and we will never get back to our per-schizophrenia level of functioning.

The situation is definitely not hopeless. But I highly doubt that we can do everything that society requires of the average person. Maybe I’m over-simplifying it. Like I said, it’s not hopeless though. As we see literally every day on these forums, people can excel in certain areas of life. But I don’t believe that any ones symptoms will disappear a 100%. I don’t believe that a person with schizophrenia can have his/her symptoms completely disappear.

I hear doctors and researchers say it or occasionally someone on here will claim they are symptom free but I am ALWAYS skeptical. I hear people claim that they can go symptom free for 3 years and I believe it. But their symptoms seem to resurface eventually.

But give me one example of someone who is completely symptom free for ten years or more. Sure, it’s possible to function very highly in life with schizophrenia. But a 100% symptom-free? I just don’t believe it. I believe that recovery is a life-long process.

3 Likes

I dont think its lifelong. I believe i am recovered. I need to take meds but thats fine.

1 Like

I think it’s a lifetime battle but I also know there isnt anything else I can tackle. It took about 7 months into treatment for me to get to get my meds just right and to work full time and go to school. I don’t live on my own (which is like the last step I think) like I did before the sz but that’s partially because I lost alot of friends when someone told them I was sz now and I felt lonely… Decided to live with my dad to combat the effects of separation from losing once best friends. @turningthepage

2 Likes

If it ever gets published I’ll share a link to it!

You’re the picture of health! (Aside from the really weird egg fixation, that is.)

2 Likes

Looking forward to your published work Mort!