Is it med side effects or the illness that makes you smoke?

I think it’s the meds over long term use. Can’t see myself quitting as long as I am on meds.

But maybe it’s the illness itself? Anyone know?

2 Likes

It improves cognition and there’s nicotine receptors in your brain. I used to be like that but they’ve taxed the heck out of smokes out here. It’s not doable on a pension so I gave up over 10 years ago. I was addicted to cigs long before I was diagnosed and medicated so I would rule the meds out.

3 Likes

@rogueone yeah i’d prefer it be the illness

1 Like

Both for me. The meds def make me crave nicotine more but the nicotine also helps me think and talk.

I dont think its any one factor. Just like all addictions. There are many things at play. I was on meds for 7 years a d have had sza for 10 now and i never have smoked cigarettes

1 Like

Both. They affect concentration, and smoking tends to bring the concentration back.

1 Like

I was a heavy smoker long before meds. Quit before meds.

1 Like

I quit smoking before the SZ hit, but nicotine addiction was a bugger. Imagine it is even tougher to quit with SZ.

I was a smoker before meds. I quit. Then in hospital I started again. Stupid.

1 Like

In theory you should be able to supplement nicotinamide(vitamin B3) to replace the cravings from cigarettes. However B3 doesen’t give any kind of high which is why most people smoke I assume.

1 Like

Nicotine is just hugely addictive. And SZ’s often have issues taking care of themselves and have endless time to kill.

It is curious why so many SZ’s are smokers tho.
Ive been buying vapes recently despite giving up nicotine 10 years ago :frowning: Feels bad

2 Likes

I’ve gotta say Ive been a lot more productive making music since I started vaping…
I was wondering if there was a link. Guess there is.

Perhaps because a lot of sz don’t care about living very much.

2 Likes

I like this theory, although I do care about hygeine and these make me smell terrible

1 Like

I care about living Im just soo addicted to nicotine and being on meds makes it really hard if not impossible to quit

1 Like

Illness, I vaped before SZ treatment.

I don’t smoke but I had family members who did, or still do.

Smoking marlboro lights today, do not mind them at all. They are way easier to smoke.

I don’t smoke, I vape. Quit smoking 8 or so years back. 4 years later I decided to puck up vaping because nicotine helped my stress, but cigs stink and are expensive now.

1 Like

@anon4362788 vaping is awesome, and tastes great. But everytime I vape I still crave cigarettes unfortunately.