Is it custom to tip takeaway delivery drivers in the States?

Is it custom to tip takeaway delivery drivers in the States? Do you tip?

4 Likes

Yes.

You give them a tip.

2 Likes

I don’t use takeway delivery - the services take so much from the restaurants that the meal is hardly profitable for them. I go pick up my food to support the restaurant on the rare occasions when we order out.

2 Likes

Yes I tip them 10%. In restaurants I tip servers 15%.

3 Likes

I never leave a tip for restaurants or delivery drivers. In fact I don’t tip anyone here in England. I did tip all the time in Sri Lanka though as its more expected so if I went to the States I would also tip but I’m unfamiliar with it so probably tip too much.

3 Likes

Here servers in restaurants are paid under the minimum because of tips. So its essential to tip. Actually I had a friend who didn’t tip and the server ran after him outside for the tip saying she’s paid under the minimum etc

2 Likes

Here in Canada its usually 15% but you can tip more if you want.

2 Likes

All restaurant staff are paid horribly. It’s a rare one who is making a living wage.

3 Likes

i like to tip. big tipper,
gratuitous me :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes you should tip. :hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil::hear_no_evil:

1 Like

People in the service industry here rely on tips. They are often paid less than minimum wage.

3 Likes

When I delivered pizza we got tipped fairly steady. One time a couple of decades ago I wouldn’t tip the drivers of a certain Pizza delivery operation because I thought they were making rude fun of my mental illness. If I’m ever over that way again I will tip them well.

1 Like

Tipping in the US is pretty tricky, but as a general rule:

10% = bare minimum to not be considered rude

15% = average

20% = for really good service/ you just like being nice

25% = Someone went majorly above and beyond for you

Above 25% = this is your favorite server at your favorite establishment

3 Likes

Cost of take out delivery is a luxury. Delivery fees + Tips - insane.

Broken system.

5 Likes

I mostly order when I have 40-80% off coupons. They keep sending me coupons every month.

2 Likes

Also we’re 5 living together and each one has an account so we never run out of coupons when we want to order for everyone lol

2 Likes

That is smart - don’t you get referral bonuses too.

2 Likes

Yes you do, I think for Ubereats and Instacart its 10$ for both parties. I wonder if I can make multiple accounts lol but they will probably ban them.

1 Like

I just cancelled my Instacart. 99$ + delivery fees + tip.

I’m just doing amazon fresh - no delivery or tipping chargers.

2 Likes

Ordered dominos pizza the other day - not my idea.

A $45 after tax became $58 delivered.

2 Likes