Is it custom to tip takeaway delivery drivers in the States?

Nice, we don’t have Amazon Fresh here in Canada. With Instacart we also have 5 accounts so we receive lots of coupons mostly 15$ off 35$ and they keep offering us 14 day trial to remove fees, its like the 4th time I am doing the trial lol There was also a promotion for Visa cards where you get 6 months free subscription.

Actually I still have 3x 15$ off coupons now but my parents got mad at me for ordering as they prefer going out together shopping for fun, they don’t want me to replace them, they said I am removing their fun of shopping :laughing:

2 Likes

Good to coordinate and get the discounts. Awesome.

2 Likes

Wow thats expensive. I order from a local pizza on Ubereats, its only 25$ca for 2x XL pepperoni and it actually tastes better than the popular and much more expensive Pizza Pizza place we have here.

2 Likes

Isn’t it ok to not tip though if you have bad economy yourself? If you are on welfare you probably don’t want to give away tips.

1 Like

Nice - dominos is so bad. We never order delivery of takeout but in emergencies of not having anything or wanting/can’t cook. It was the price of convenience.

Also subway sandwiches - the food is cheaper than the delivery costs.

2 Likes

i always tip but i feel like some food delivery apps try to rip people off by charging tons of fees then a percentage tip based off the items and fees combined. when i order groceries i have like 100-150$ of food and i usually tip $7.77 which i feel is generous considering the food is payed for with food stamps

2 Likes

Well - it’s considered rude. The drivers don’t know the situation.

I think delivery is just not a good thing for the poor. Such a waste of money.

3 Likes

Maybe its ok online but in person in restaurants servers will harrass you for tip as they are underpaid hourly because they are expected to receive tips. They can actually call the manager and not let you get back in that restaurant. It happened to my friend.

3 Likes

That sounds illegal. I mean tips are not mandatory. And it doesen’t make much sense if this waiter makes a lot more than a customer that is on wellfare. Something wrong with the system then.

In my country there is no need to tip, but that is because we have a good minimum wage.

2 Likes

i dont like when i see servers or delivery drivers on social media blaming the customers for not tipping enough. go blame the employer for paying you less than a living wage and expecting you to make enough in tips to live off of.

2 Likes

The reason for tips here is that waiters are paid less than the minimum wage as managers expect them to make money from tips.

2 Likes

Yeah - food service people get paid under minimum wage.
(So restaurants owners have taken advantage of this law + exploit working class and make food people work off tips. Lowest in the 90s was $2 / hour.)

3 Likes

That is a very different situation. Grocery delivery drivers serve a larger percentage of people who use the service as a necessity, not a convenience.

And then, also, tipping is percentage based because higher bills usually mean more work was done. A higher restaurant bill means a waiter was bringing you more food, refilling mroe drinks, etc. A higher hairdresser bill means the hairdresser did a trickier haircut. That isn’t always the correlation with grocery delivery, because picking up a $1 object takes the same effort as picking up a $40 object.

4 Likes

I don’t tip in this country, period! The staff are paid a living wage so no need to tip.

3 Likes

For groceries I just tip 5% as thats what Instacart recommends me.

3 Likes

When do you ever tip in Europe? Like any industry?

Here theres tips everywhere. Tip jars at every counter.

2 Likes

I understand. I get the tip. Jk :smiling_face:

1 Like

The thing that annoys me about tipping culture in the US is that people who expect tips don’t tell you that they expect a tip. I went to a hairdresser for like 4 years as an adult before I found out that tipping hairdressers is expected. I felt like a jerk for not tipping, even though nobody ever told me it was expected.

3 Likes

Lol there is a prank I saw the other day on Just for laughs gags yt channel, the police asked for tip while holding a tip jar after giving a ticket to the same person he’s asking tips from.

2 Likes

There the PayPal ipad kiosks at small businesses now everywhere - and they have a screen to fill out when you pay by credit card, and the cashier can see how much you tip. So embarrassing. Its like forced tip culture.

3 Likes