Schizophrenia.com

Is Abilify activating?

I recently started Abilify on top on my Clozapine and I’ve been very irritable and I’ve had an extremely short fuse. Could this be the Abilify or is it more likely to be the start of a manic episode? My sleep has been lacking and I’ve also had a lot more energy and motivation as well as a lot of anxiety.

Abilify did this to me. In the end I was hospitalised and had to change meds (Again!) Did not work well for me at all

1 Like

I’m on the abilify maintena shot and havent experienced any sid effects

1 Like

Abilify is very activating,

To the point where I had to be put on benzos for anxiety.

But it’s a good AP.

1 Like

Yea I get irritable more easily and also used to have akathisia which did die down after a month (akathisia)

1 Like

Yes for most people it’s activating.
It certainly was for me.

1 Like

I didnt have side effects on Abilify other than addictions which made me stop it.

1 Like

I was on it for 8 years.

1 Like

The anxiety was unbearable on Abilify.

1 Like

it releases a lot of dopamine

1 Like

I think the lack of sleep you’re suffering from could be doing that.

1 Like

I got physically stronger on Abilify. I know this because I tried it out lifting weights. It did some of the good things you describe to me. It got me too amp’ed up, though. They eventually had to take me off it.

1 Like

Abilify is some hardcore shiit !

I couldnt even handle 5 mg it made me fuucking crazy. It was more intesnse than clozapine

2 Likes

Did you have those impulse side effects when you are first on abilify?

1 Like

They took a year to develop, the only reason I stayed on it after that is that I had 15 000$ in my bank account and worked full time for some time. After 8 years I emptied my bank account and had thousands in debts on my visa then I stopped working too. No shopping addiction or hypersexuality now on Risperdal.

1 Like

I was doing so well during the 1st year of being on Abilify bcz I didnt have these impulses. I was doing 5 courses/semester in university and was still getting good grades.

1 Like

I wish it could have stayed without impulses. I asked my psychiatrist if there is a med for these impulses and he said no and that the only way to stop them is to stop the Abilify.

1 Like

Have you tried ziprasidone?don’t try it if your family has a history of heart disease

2 Likes

No, I dont have a psychiatrist now but Ziprasidone isn’t a partial dopamine agonist like Abilify. I think Abilify improved my negative symptoms bcz its a partial dopamine agonist, it doesn’t fully block dopamine. What do you think? Is Ziprasidone really worth it?

1 Like

It’s cheap because it’s an old med. It also has the least weight gain iirc it’s made by pfizer

2 Likes