Is a laptop or pc a necessity

I am happy with the cellphone, but i think to learn more about computing. Someone told me its expensive to secure the laptop from intruders, are they lowcost common security programs available ?
Are the google/ Microsoft applications enough for security ?

I only use the built-in Microsoft windows defender on my laptop and never had any problems.

Just don’t click on suspicious links in emails!

2 Likes

I used the standard windows security on the PC for quite awhile. I recently upgraded to BitDefender, which is supposed to one of the best. It was only 25 dollars for a year.

1 Like

I think if people want to get into your system or phone its possible. But If they have so much of knowledge they won’t do the wrong thing. IMO.

1 Like

I think a laptop is needed for serious work in coding or editing.

2 Likes

Yes, i don’t get a laptop. Spending money on something i don’t know much about is a waste. The phone is enough for my hobby, like surfing, gaming. communications, music and movies.

Always had a computer in some form or another since i was about 8, starting with a commodore 64c.

i rely on mine for the entertainment cos im usually indoors on my own for days. Current build was extravagant at ÂŁ2800 - but what the hell. Too me its just as important as people having a car, which i dont have.

2 Likes

Not in this day and age. Phones are so capable of doing most things a pc, Chromebook or laptop can. I’ve even written a resume on my phone before I got my laptop.

1 Like

BS. They don’t know what they are talking about. I’ve never bought any anti virus stuff. Just don’t download stuff from weird places and you’ll be fine.

Personally I love having a desktop but if you don’t have a need for it why bother. You’ve probably better things to spend your money on.

2 Likes

You need a laptop or desktop if you’re a content creator (writing and photography in my case). Mobile devices are too limited and are better for consuming content.

1 Like

I purchased a $50 dell chromebook from Amazon.com. im finding it can be more effective than a high end laptop. The battery lasts longer due to solid state drive no over heating, i can use it through my cellphone hotspot because right now i dont have internet. The only issue is my phone uses up its battery faster and so it auto turns off the Hotspot periodically. I dont think u can use animation software like blender but if ur simply starting out to code you can find a run time or javascript program that has built in codes and chatgpt works on the google chromebook to learn coding.

Overall the most expensive is not always the best way to go this old machine doesn’t even have Linux integration but it does what it needs and there are probably more ways to tweak its performance

3 Likes

nah phone does the job for me ahah

1 Like

I googled “turn your phone into a pc”, interesting information came up.

1 Like

Basically all computers have SSD’s now and have done for a few years. The latest tech for hard drives is NVMe.

1 Like

I use my laptop for:
Video calls with pdoc, employment coach
Selling/buying complex financial products which I can’t do on my phone
Typing long texts

Most things can be done on the phone but not everything and not always to the same standard.

2 Likes

If you’re like me then you definitely need a laptop. I can’t cope with smartphones. It’s very hit and miss as to whether I can get the swiping right. My daughter says I’m too heavy handed due to the very probable dyspraxia. I have a basic senior phone for receiving those codes they send you to confirm who you are.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.