Irreparable psychological damage

Scientifically, its possible for someone to have irreparable psychological damage but they must have a part in maintaining it, keeping it alive. However, for some with time, they forget the psychological damage and it goes into remission therefore is not irreparable damage, they are the lucky ones they can forget.

4 Likes

Isolation spending heinous amounts of time alone can be traumatic and of course being bullied, abused, a victim of a crime, surviving war, natural disaster, being a migrant, being an addict All these and more can take a toll mentally. And being disabled of course, developing mental illness from environment growing up and genetics

1 Like

I still have awful memories from growing up, thats probably why im googling stuff tonight trying to make sense of it

1 Like

Im sorry for you going through this.

1 Like

I came out of 2 1/2 years of psychosis relatively unscathed. I say relatively because in photos of me I look a little withdrawn but I still had all my mental faculties. I survived 4 years of crack addiction and came out relatively unscathed too.

Then 5 years ago I had a run in with the worlds most dangerous creatures - humans. I had problems with all my neighbors and the stress and strain and abuse they put on me changed me. I physically changed, I could no longer hide my illness as easily. Getting psychologically beat down changed me too. I can still think and reason OK but I’ve regressed . I feel like I’m 17 again and when all my friends were putting me down; those were crazy times. Problems with sadistic people took its toll.

3 Likes

@Ducky , I was abused and neglected starting from infancy. I truly believe that it damaged me even if there’s things I don’t remember so I’m not sure the psychological damage will ever truly go away.

@faux , I’m so sorry you’re enduring this. I know how awful it is. It’s not your fault and you didn’t deserve it. I’m so sorry.

@77nick77 i am so sorry you are suffering like that. I believe you that it took a toll on you. I hope that over time, even if it doesn’t completely reverse, that it improves drastically.

3 Likes

I believe that psychological damage can be healed. Mine was.

3 Likes

@CoCo @SkinnyMe @77nick77 firstly im sorry you all went through rough terrible times, no words for how terrible. I really don’t know if psychological damage can be healed because ive never been healed myself and i don’t know but if you say it can be then that gives me great hope

2 Likes

@77nick77 its incredible the effect of people and inuendos and verbal abuse, bullying etc its soul destroying the effect it has on an already fragile mind. Ive been bullied at work when i was in a bad state mentally and it was horrible. I understand. And of course my mum abused me, i was unable to express feelings emotions it was never safe to do so growing up and only in my forties now i feel i can. I have anhedonia though which makes things a little difficult. I wish you all the best, you are incredible and are doing so well considering, hat off to you!

1 Like

Nearly 50 years later and the ‘bullying related trauma’ still affects me.

1 Like

idk if i have psychological damage, i probably have though.

I experienced physical, emotional and sexual abuse at the hands of my father throughout my childhood. Then, I went on to experience the same at the hands of my husband throughout our almost ten year relationship. Amazingly I’m healed from all of that today.

1 Like

I have the answer for this.

1 Like

Im sure I got some. I went through some things the last ten years. Drug induced psychosis, lived with my violent gun owning brother during that time, and my brother tried to kill me a beat the crap out of my mom. Luckily we got out of there. He’s schizophrenic and doesn’t know it. He’s still in jail from the last incident. I could be changed but I don’t know what would be different if none of that happened.

1 Like

Yes, some damage can’t be repaired. Things others did to me, and things I did to others, who were hurt by my trauma responses. The latter maybe more so. Moral injury. Also there’s irrepairable physical damage, like legal drugs deregulating my nervous system.

I think trauma also may cause growth (I’m reading a book by Edith Shiro about it). But not always. And even if there is growth, it still hurts like hell. And shapes you. Shiro tells a story about a man who lost his young son in a bad way. He says it taught him empathy and depth…and yet he’d exchange all that…to simply have his son back…and his pain about the loss gone.

My mother really played a big role in my psychological problems, she used to hit me and I never knew how she was going to act towards me. It was hard.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.