Increased activation on abilify

The thing with this abilify, I can sleep but some parts of the day i am tweaking out of my mind, has anyone else had this experience?

What dose are you on? 10mg was activating for me and 15mg (which I’m now on) is a bit more sedating.

I’m taking l-theanine which dampens things down too.

1 Like

I think many do. Maybe an anti-anxiety even if not a benzo but another one could help.

I take klonopin .5 so I don’t really have this issue. I’m not prone to benzo abuse though at all.

1 Like

I’m currently on 30mg, but I can’t handle it all at once. I take 20 in the morning and 10 12 hours later. Everyone seems to be recommending l-theanine to me like it’s some sort of miracle substance. Right now I’m on ativan and it works like a charm but gets me a little high. Does l-theanine get you high @everhopeful?

1 Like

No l-theanine doesn’t get me high. It’s like an atvian substitute for me though. I was on cloneazepam to help me tolerate abilify and now l-theanine is doing that job instead.

I take l-theanine 2x400mg a day and at that dose i can’t quit it cold turkey. I would have to taper off it over a period of a month. I tried quitting it cold turkey once and nearly became psychotic.

1 Like

Depends on dosage. Abilify is an unusual medicine as it has vastly different effects at different doses (which vary individuallu). At low doses (usually below 10 mg) it activates and above 20 mg, it usually sedates. BTW, 10 & 20mg is a crap shoot. Over time, the medication accumulates often becoming more sedating especially in the elderly.

1 Like

My concern with l-theanine would be, how fast does it take effect? Ativan is perfect for me because it comes on in like 5-10 minutes, so if I am in a crowded public place ore something it can be my savior. How fast does l-theanine take effect and how long does it last, what is its half life?

L-theanine take about 60-90 minutes to kick in. Then it lasts for about 4 hours.

1 Like

That is much too long for me, I can’t wait that long for my anxiolytic to start working. I also need a drug which doesn’t wear off and leave you terrified or something. I feel like l-theanine might be one of those drugs, you think you’re safe, then it wears off and everything comes rushing back.

1 Like

Definetely stick with the atvian if it’s working for you. Why mess with success ?

1 Like