Impulsivity on abilify - myth or reality?

I read a lot of good things on abilify, good side effects spectrum.
I also encountered few posts saying it made them to gamble and buy stuff they did not need.
Is this true? Share your story.

Yes @Newlyborn, I think Abilify CAN make the patient impulsive and take too much risk. I took a lot of risk and lost a lot of money when I was on Abilify. It might not affect everyone that way but it probably affected me. As far as other side effects go, I had fewer and different other side effects on Abilify than the Risperidone I’m on now.

Interesting, I think if a person is predisposed to gambling and impulsivity and maybe it makes worse?
Even though I’m on Invega, sometimes I purchase a game or a dlc for a game that I probably will never play or play after a year or two. I was really impulsive when I was psychotic - I bought perfume worth 130£ and then loads of cigarettes for 57£, lost all my wage in a week. That what scares me the most about abilify. I would rather suffer kinda high prolactin that bang out my and my family’s money for meaningless stuff.

1 Like

Yeah @Newlyborn, you’re onto it. Especially your first sentence. You’ve got good insight on this. Stay with your gut feel.

1 Like

I’ve only read once about someone on this forum who had rto switch meds because of uncontrolled gambling.

I dont think it’s a common side effect.

1 Like

I became addicted to gambling on it. Scratch tickets. Still am. TONS of lawsuits for Abilify and gambling. Google it. All I think about is scratch tickets but I only get what my hubby spends on beer. Now use them for my ‘reward’ for achieving goals on a program hubby created for me with nurse. If I didn’t have extreme self control for finances for my family I would be broke
I was not in any way predisposed to gambling
I’m still on Abilify bc it works for well for me

2 Likes

My spending habit definitely increased due to abilify. I just became more impulsive over all

1 Like

How long did it take on abilify to develop gambling problems?

I buy an occasional powerball. I probably shouldn’t though,

I’m not sure really. I’m not good at estimating timelines. It was maybe a month or two of being at maybe about 10 mg. But I could be wrong. I’m above that now. @anon99082702

1 Like

So our pdoc knows about your gambling problems and keeps you on abilify?

1 Like

Well my nurse is aware. However I focus on gambling a lot but I don’t act on it beyond where we can afford. I spend what my hubby does on other things so it’s not significantly problematic. Abilify works really well compared, and without physical side effects. It’s been a journey to get me where I am. I wouldn’t get off it when it’s all weighed out. But I don’t know what pdoc would do if she or I told him. Prob leave me on it

1 Like

I am more impulsive with food. Since being on aripiarzole

1 Like

I have read it too, but I’m on Abilify since 2015 and it hasn’t made me to gamble or waste my money. So it can happen or not.

The one week i was on abilify i was so completely ■■■■■■ up, restless and delusional, that they never really let me out of the ward and quickly put me back on haldol again. I have no clue whether i also was impulsive, since pacing in my room in total psychotic terror kind of overruled all other things. :slight_smile:

Yeah that happened to me too

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.