Im over the school thing

for years after I dropped out of college I thought I would eventually go back and earn a degree. like up until last year I would always think about it, but now I don’t think about it much. I just don’t have the energy to study and write papers and take tests and socialize with students 15 years younger than me.

well I am thinking about going back to school, but this time a trade. so 2 years of school. im thinking about learning to build guitars and mandolins. it would all be hands on and wouldn’t require any paperwork etc.

here are a few of the things I’ve considered studying in the past: horticulture, viticulture and enology, wastewater treatment, pharmacy tech, and turfgrass management. all would probably be ok for me, but have ruled out all those things for various reasons.

6 Likes

Dropping out of university screwed me up for about 20 years…

3 Likes

Ya I dropped out in 2006 when I had my first symptoms. I was going for a graphic design degree.

If I New at the time I could go to a trade school an learn outboard engines for boats I would have done that.

Now I think it would be cool to go for 14 months an get a degree. But my anxiety around people keep me from it. Damn this illness. Also it’s 17k$

5 Likes

Same. I dropped out of college 15 years ago. Would love to have finished. Missed opportunities. I was sick.

@Lifer
I can see you doing something hands on!

2 Likes

Making mandolins and instruments is still learning and school, you aren’t over it. No one is ever over school. We learn every day and don’t pay for it!:wink:

That sounds like a really cool trade btw

3 Likes

What happened to horticulture? You seem so passionate about that.

1 Like

well idk, things change.

I got a couple of introductory horticulture books im still reading through and I love to spend time in nurseries and outside in garden centers. and I take care of my garden daily, but in doing so im just not as interested as I thought. I will continue to garden, but just at home.

the plan is to work in a restaurant in town, then come home and build guitars in the workshop for some extra money.

also horticulture is more academic, school that is, whereas guitar building/luthier is mostly hands on.

1 Like

I spent many years in college studying hairdressing, nursing, history, computer office technology, and Spanish. And, it’s all for naught. Didn’t do much with any of it. Only practiced RN nursing for ten years.

Now, I’m taking private piano lessons. I’ll probably never study music in a college setting.

I’m In it for the life experience at this point

Ooooo I’ve said screw a career!!! Just enjoy life and what you like to do!!

Class IS the experience. Not the degree that class gives u imo.

This is it already !!!

1 Like

You’re right @Jonnybegood. It wasn’t all for naught. Those classes and degrees/ diplomas were good experiences to have and the skills and knowledge they gave me did all come in handy very often in my life. You are right.

1 Like

I dropped out of high school in the last year. But I ended up getting my GED instead. I was not doing well, mentally.

I currently have an online class going for Professional Medical Billing and Coding, but I really don’t think I can finish it. :frowning: Getting an education is really tough when you have Sz/SzA. I’ve been really slow at completing my course and I am nowhere near completion. I just struggle with motivation and concentrating.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.