I'm ashamed of my family

My aunt is schizophrenic bipolar, my mom is a narcissist, they fight and scream the whole time and for the neighbors, the fault is mine because I’m a member of this crazy family. I can’t take anymore the shame, and it’s not my fault

1 Like

Sometimes I’m ashamed of myself because of my schizophrenia.

1 Like

I also feel I’ve put my parents to shame with my illness. Few people know I was severely ill which is good. Stigma is strong in our society.

Why are they fighting and screaming @Alan96?

I don’t know, they fight and scream for almost everything

I’m so sorry. That sounds awful.

1 Like

It’s sabotage over your environment.

An ex girlfriend told Phil he’s narcissist.

I wonder sometimes. He can never yield.

1 Like

Try to detach from it as much as you can. It never pays to take these situations personally. Your aunt and your mom are ill. See if you can get them to accept psychiatric help. If you can’t, just say, “I did everything I could.”

1 Like

I’m not ashamed of my family, but like @Katherine85, I, too, am ashamed of myself. I am sorry about your family. I wouldn’t know how to handle that.

2 Likes

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I hope things resolve.

1 Like

I had my mother for a high school teacher (rural area and only one foreign language teacher) and was soooo embarrassed. I think some of this embarrassment is normal when we grow up to see our parents for who they really are. Normies didn’t have perfect parents either.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.