I'm a narcissist

I’ve been incredibly self centered probably my who life. Always talking to my self, obsessing about my problems and rarely see anything else. I often noticed that I compare my problems with other people’s and judge them on how severe they are compared to mine and think to myself how they don’t really have any real problems. I think my problems are the most important in the world and I don’t have to care about anyone else’s which really sucks the more I think about it. This thought has always been in the back of my mind but recently I started taking it seriously. I’ve been having bad dreams of my family crying alone in there beds thinking nobody loves them and feel like I made them feel that way. I do love them but my affection feels distant and conditional. I want to fix this, but I don’t know how. Being more mindful of them seems like a good step but my emotions don’t feel like they catch on in the moment and lead to a lot of award pauses instead of loving reassurance when it matters. Slowly I feel them being more distant as the months go on. I’ve had a few moment of genuine emotions with them but compared to the sea of neglect, it just doesn’t compare. I know I’m sick and they’ll always love me and take care of me but sometimes they need help too. Has anyone conquered emotional withholding?

Sounds like you’re obsessed wit your own suffering and you lack empathy. I have you been sick for a long time? The doctor told me I had no empathy either and said that I need to pay attention to other people’s feelings. I would literally walk all over anyone who got in my way because I was so consumed with this illness. It’s called being demoralized, look it up. It sucks to not have feelings for others.

2 Likes

“Tell me am I a narcissist? Because I wake up to a bowl of lobster bisque” - Rick Ross

I’ve only been sick for a few years but I feel like it’s completely changed me.

Well maybe you’ll bounce back. Some people get better and some adjust and learn to live with it I guess. I know what you mean about it changing you. I feel like I lost my innocence to this disease. I’ll never smile as brightly or laugh as carelessly as I used to.

2 Likes

That’s what I miss the most.

Your therapist should help you work through this

I have issues with focusing on my own struggle too, but honestly no one I know has had to go through as much adversity as me with the schizophrenia. My narcissism isn’t unfair.

1 Like

Remember what zues told narcissist…

1 Like

In that case my entire family are narcissistic.

What did Zeus tell Narcissus?

2 Likes

You better watch yourself…lol that’s hilarious advice for a narcissist…

1 Like

Daffodils are narcissists

1 Like

I often wondered why daffodils are called narcissus.

Here’s the explanation:
“Narcissus is the proper name for the daffodil family. It is so called because its bulb houses a toxic substance – the Greek word ‘narcissus’ means ‘numbness’, so it is a reference to its narcotic nature.”

http://www.flowers.org.uk/flowers/flowers-names/m-p/narcissus/

3 Likes

I think you should always make effort to hear out others, stop to consider what they’ve said, try to empathize and then offer any help you can.

I don’t believe, especially in our case in which we are already mentally disturbed, we should jeopardize our emotional well being or wear our hearts on our sleeves.

Everyone around you is mentally/emotionally screwed up in some manner - maybe not to the point of needing meds but most definitely to the point where they can’t manage or maintain long-term mature relationships. There will always be a drama and always a reason for them to chase you out of their lives so you don’t ever want to breathe easy and allow yourself into a sappy, lovey-dovey, false sense of security.

1 Like

Good info moonbeam today I learned a little about flowers thank you…

2 Likes

If you tend to only compare yourself to who you were in the past and not to others. I think it’s healthier and you will hope the best for others because there not your competition anymore
Works for me. We are all so different it’s not fare to compare. I made a rhyme :grinning:

1 Like