I'm a bit irritable today

Mostly because of hand/finger limitations on frets. It really sucks to put so much effort into something and then be limited by physical limitations.

I think I will get there eventually through hand exercises and such but I’m a bit irritated today. It is likely to be months if I am going to get this solved. I want to make real progress.

So, I apologize if I appear a bit rude or irritable today.

5 Likes

Get into it for the long haul, you don’t need to learn to play guitar right away, youre going to be playing it for the rest of your life.

3 Likes

It’s the same for me. I took music lessons in September, and whatever the instrument, I struggle.
Shaking, bad body position, fatigue.
I’m trying to learn jazz but I’m also struggling because I’m 43 years old soon and you don’t learn as well at that age.

2 Likes

I’m 49. I’m satisfied with my book learning atm. I have pretty well learned B C D E F G on strings little E and B. I also read them decently in notation. It’s the inability to stretch my fingers on frets that is driving me mad.

Edit: And also inability to bring fingers in straight and keep thumb in proper position at the same time.

5 Likes

im sorry it isnt going as fast as you want

but you have faith and ambition

that will drive you to success

good luck

2 Likes

Just don’t do what blues legend Robert Johnson did!

(Legend has it that he sold his soul to the Devil to be the best guitarist ever).

:wink:

4 Likes

Testing to see if I can share mp3 file from file site here. Don’t laugh at my music if it works. I’ve only had 3 days and my fingers dont stretch!

Edit: I have been practicing this song for less than one.

3 Likes

I have obnoxiously tight and not so limber fingers and hands, but through stretching I can do quite a few Cardistry tricks I couldn’t do before. Keep up your finger and hand exercises and stretches, and you’ll get the hang of it! (Disclaimer: Consult your doctor before engaging in new physical activity.)

You could also try out physical therapy if you are desperate for more finger dexterity.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. Maybe I am getting frustrated a bit too early. I have been putting a lot of time into it though so it’s frustrating to hit roadblocks like finger dexterity.

I will keep at it.

2 Likes

Not bad @Bowens
Not bad at all

3 Likes

Hey thanks, I appreciate it @Wave . I’m still way slow and I’m getting lots of nasty buzzing sounds because my fingers dont stretch to frets but at least the song is somewhat recognizable.
Not too bad for only 3 days reading standard notation I hope?

I’m hopefully getting my niece to give me some pointers saturday.

3 Likes

“Getting pointers from niece on saturday”

@Bowens is already forming a band

2 Likes

I did that very same thing and can say that its definitely not worth it. Took me years to get my soul back.

2 Likes

I was fine earlier but our pets are being pain in the butts.

Charles ran into my water cup as I was goinf up the stairs. Spilled it a bit. :heart_eyes_cat:

Dogs are being dogs.

Taking steps to assuage my irritability.

2 Likes

Having mood swings. Now I am fine again.

2 Likes

What you describe is how it was in the start for me when I started playing. It would take too long time switching between the different chords and my wrist would hurt. I just kept at it though. 1/2 hour each day. Eventually I became a decent guitarplayer, meaning it took maybe 2-3 years to really get a hang of it, although there is still a lot more I could have learned, like scales and sheetmusic.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.