If I'm slipping back into a psychotic episode, can they force me into a hospital?

Yeah if Latuda didn’t work at first, there’s no point in taking it now.

Good luck man, I have to go to sleep now.

1 Like

Sleep well, thanks for the help.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Technically you can also be committed if you’re having command hallucinations. It’s happened to me a couple of times, but I went to the ER asking to go in the hospital. Don’t take extra meds without first asking a pdoc. I believe 8mg is the max dose as I used to be on it. If the psychosis gets worse you may want to consider the hospital. I know they suck to be in but it’s a safe place to be where they can adjust your meds. Hang in there!! :sunny:

1 Like

In my state, you can also be hospitalized if you are considered gravely disabled. And you can still be taken to the hospital even if you are not dangerous, but you can’t be held more than 24 hours unless they decide you are dangerous or gravely disabled, then you get the 72 hours.

1 Like

So if I’m not suicidal I’d only be stuck there for a day at least

Depends on the state. These are the laws for California.

MS laws has 72 hours for suicidality, but you cant be kept there for any other reasons without court order. at least in public hospitals

I hope you get better!

I’ve had mixed experiences with going in as a non-suicidal, non-homicidal 5150, to be honest. It can happen (they did it to me for being “gravely disabled” and kept me in a ward for months on 5250’s for being “gravely disabled” but admittedly not a threat to myself or others). Than again, I’ve been denied entry to hospitals because I wasn’t suicidal or homicidal! I was like, please let me in, i’m scared and i need anti-psychotics now but my case got closed at the pdocs and they won’t see me and i can’t afford a private pdoc (happened a few times) and i told them what i was hearing and seeing but they were like “go see your doctor, we’re full and our beds are for immediate cases.” seriously. :expressionless: I was like, i just told you, my doctor won’t see me.

I decided whether or not they’d let me in as a gravely disabled/non-suicidal/non-homicidal mental patient was like rolling the dice on how full they were and who was working the shift that night lol just kidding, kind of.
this was in california back around 2002-2008 and i think since then funding got better and they have more beds available.
:slight_smile:

1 Like