I wonder if I’ll lose disability as well

I’m stable on my meds. Have tried working office jobs part-time but that didn’t work out. I traveled 3 months abroad last winter. Going to study chiropractic in September.

I’m playing it by the rules and everything got approved by social security. Still nobody is questioning my disability yet. I’m wondering if this will last. Maybe I’m protected by my diagnosis.

Nevertheless, I refuse to live in fear. If everything would crash and burn I can always reapply for disability.

Still it’s nice to get some financial support from the Government.

Just sharing my current thoughts.

5 Likes

In the US there’s there’s an application you can fill out that will protect you from having to reapply for benefits if you lose them due to work. If that makes sense

Maybe there is something like that in Belgium?

3 Likes

The legislation is complicated here, but basically if you would fall ill again in the first 3 months of going back to work you don’t have to reapply.

You can also work part-time while remaining on disability but that needs to be approved by the docs annually.

If you want to study things get even more complicated. My studies abroad have been approved, but my long stay in Spain hasn’t yet. In the worst case I’ll have to commute or something. We’ll see how it plays out.

2 Likes

Here in England if you claim benefits and try to be self employed the support is very good

If you have to buy equipment or materials to do your job, it does not affect the amount you get

Should you be a chiropractor would you work for yourself?

3 Likes

My dream would be to be a self-employed part-time chiropractor.

Let’s see if we can make it happen!

4 Likes

If you get hired as a chiropractor i think you will have more safety incase you relapse. At least thats in the Netherlands

2 Likes

Worries for later. I still have 4 academic years ahead of me. I would already be happy if I can tackle that hurdle.

3 Likes

I think you can handle anything, so indeed no worries about the future

1 Like

Typically it’s assumed if you can study full time for more than a year, you’re no longer disabled.

Chiropractic school is very rigorous and demanding.

I truly believe if you can handle chiropractic school you can handle working

And I think that’s what’s they’ll determine as well.

1 Like

I think so too.

It’s already generous that I’ll have funding for the first year.

1 Like

I agree. They’re essentially helping you get your life going again

1 Like

You are lucky they let you study, they gave me psycho interventional medicines to sabotage my studies successfully, hopefully I can get in next year again. I wish I would be on unemployment benefits to find work easier.

1 Like

What medicines are you talking about?

I take Invega, Clozapine and Wellbutrin

1 Like

I get clopixol and the psychiatrist don’t want to lower the overdose.

1 Like

I’ve never been on clopixol.

Can you request to switch meds if you don’t like it?

1 Like

It’s a long story short, my medical records were faulty to the extend that I had to produce a policeclearance record. Apparently I was two years in jail according to their records but I have a flawless resume instead.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I fully understand, but I hope you can work together with a psychiatrist to get your meds sorted.

1 Like

I can’t trust them anymore, they treated me like a scumbag. I am traumatised by their treatment plan.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about how the support works where you live @Jonathan2, but I am very proud of you for the effort you are putting in. That is amazing and a great example for all of us.

5 Likes

they dont really care about diagnosis. they set a number of years that it has to be redetermined. the first time i got it they set it for the longest time possible which is 7 years (thats the “unlikely to improve” timeline). they ended up doing it around year 10. they can set the timeline from like 6 months to 7 years.

1 Like