I was wondering why dogs kick their back legs after pooping or peeing

I saw my dog doing this and I was going to ask that question here but I looked it up instead. I thought I would share the answer for anyone else who was curious. It seemed they they were trying to bury their waste, but no, that’s not the answer at all.

CANS-Dog-Behavior-Kicking-After-Pooping-507153619

"This dog behavior is a way to mark their territory. … When a dog kicks the ground after defecating, they are releasing pheromones onto the ground . In addition to the scents from feces and urine, these pheromones relay territorial claims, sexual availability, possible food trails and warnings of danger. "

10 Likes

yeah I knew this…but thanks…confirms what I believed…

1 Like

That’s interesting! I always assumed they did it to make sure their paws were clean.

2 Likes

This is so weird but my dog gets excited after he goes to the bathroom. He jumps around in my apartment and does quick zoomies (accompanied by excited barking).

2 Likes

My cat used to do that, also after farting, but she seemed freaked out rather than excited.
I think the smell scared her

1 Like

I think cats have different reactions. But nonetheless they are cute. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I pretend to ride my dog every morning

1 Like

My exes dog did this everytime but my dog never does it

2 Likes

Interesting. Now I know. Oliver does it but Chey doesn’t do it much. Wonder if male dogs do it more.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.