I was the prejudiced criminal

go to jail on minor offense, then don’t want to talk to any of the other inmates in jail, thinking their low lifes or something. i didn’t say much at all really, just sat there and waited.

i wonder how common my experience is for other inmates, jail doesn’t seem like good place to make friends, mostly i ate, slept, and watched tv sometimes, and did pushups in my cell. also spent a lot of time looking out the window.

For how long you were in jail?

1 Like

Yea lots of bad ppl in jail, not a good idea to make friends there with criminals and mobs.

2 Likes

I kept my head down. Only spoke when spoken too and mostly stayed in the cell. I was one of the lucky ones that i was only on a small hospital wing tho with 12 other cells.

On the Gen pop wings you could hear the threats made to others thru the window. It was all banter and “respect” really, which frankly i thought was a load of bollox.

I would goto the library and read most mornings as well when they let me out.

3 Likes

Is there rape in jail or its only in prison? I read that inmates rape each other to show dominance. Thers also tear drop tattoo under the eye which has meanings like murder etc

1 Like

Theres only “prison” in the uk, their is no jail beforehand like the US, before your charged. Your in the police cell before being sent to court.

Only speak for uk prisons, which frankly are probably alot softer than USA - but where i was rape was unheard of. But saying that i was only in a CAT C prison. I dont know about the lifer institutions.

2 Likes

all total i’ve spent 2 months in jail for multiple arrests, from when i was hiking all over the midwest. i would be out hiking along a highway, get stopped, and be uncooperative with the police, and then taken to jail, the longest time i spent in jail was 1 month in downtown cincinnati, ohio where i got stopped hiking home and just walked right past the cop instead of answering his questions. that’s when i got sent to the hospital and diagnosed sz. most of my stays in jail were a couple days, or one in kentucky was 2 weeks while they try to identify you, i didn’t give them my name. charges were always dropped but sometime i would get sent to the hospital for evaluation and meds.

this all happened in 3 or 4 year period in my mid to late 20’s. after i quit working and started adventuring/hiking/exploring the country.

@Aziz in my 2 months total in jail, i only saw 1 dispute, when i was in kentucky one of the inmates was controlling the tv and was obsessed with watching MTV’s “teen mom” of all things, and one of the other inmates got tired of watching it and unplugged the television and there was a shoving and shouting match but no punches thrown.

in contrast to that, i spent 7 months in behavioral hospitals and saw 7 to 10 fights with punches thrown there. i was never in any fights but was challanged to fight once, this guy didn’t like me and wanted to fight me, i ignored him and walked away from it. he was much bigger than me anyhow. he got in a dispute a week and nothing ever happened to him other than he had no privelidges to get off the ward to play basketball, get on the computers, go to the cafeteria, or workout, things like that.

1 Like

I think it depends where on the module (or housing unit) a person is in. At one point I was housed with violent offenders. One guy had killed a police officer and he was on trial for that murder and would eventually be sentenced for up to 50 years in prison. I didn’t speak unless spoken to either. Where the violent offenders were held there were fights almost every other day. I got jumped by three prisoners as a way to learn “respect”. I wasn’t gang affiliated so it was a sort of initiation where they beat me for 13 seconds. Eventually I was moved back to the psychiatric wing.

I can relate to the first post. I didn’t really want to associate with anyone. Eventually I became one of the workers at the module I was in. Mostly I did custodial work. Sweeping, mopping, handing out meals, etc. Because of that I was allowed to spend some time outside the cell. I also received time and a half for my sentence. Meaning my time was reduced.

I was facing a maximum of three years and I spent 11 months incarcerated. It was likely I’d be sentenced for 18 months. I’m out on bail at the moment and my trial is still going through the court process. I’ve been told it’s unlikely I’ll be detained again. I’ll likely get time served if I am found guilty.

1 Like

As someone that lives near both a prison and a post-prison transitional center, and encounters people from the latter on the bus, regularly, I don’t think your experience is too uncommon, actually.

The way some people have talked about the other people at the center, and on occasion, themselves, is a bit depressing. They sometimes express a very low opinion of others there. It is less common for this view to be openly expressed about themselves, though.

Although, many of the people from the center tend to be very friendly with, at least, one other person from the center. They tend to have a bus buddy, who they talk about their day with. Some people have a larger friend circle, so the 271 bus can be quite loud, on occasion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.