How is prison system for mentally ill

Does a mentally ill person stays in a cell with another mentally ill, or it doesnt matter.

I’m a human rights activist and as far as I know from research the mentally ill are put in general population. The Justice Department doesn’t seem to care if a person had a mental illness or not.

1 Like

I’ve often heard the prisons referred to as the new institutions.

That’s why I’ve specifically NOT been incarcerated.

Maybe I should have been… What can you do?

Prisoners have there own brutal laws, if they are kept among general population, mentall ill people cant follow with those laws and they can suffer because of that…

thought if youre mentallly ill you get sent to high security psychiatric hospital.
louis theroux did a 2 part doc (finished last sunday) on a place in ohio.

in the uk, there was one on broadmoor a few years ago.

both are good watches.
louis theroux one was thought provoking, people whove murdered but not not guilty cos of their mental health. whether the people who have committed the crimes feel guilt or remorse, some of the answers you wonder if they are actually fit for society

The US is such a mess with mental health. In New York City the police arrested a man for sleeping on a roof of a apartment building. He had his own room in his moms place but he just took off sometimes. I sympathize because I have slept on the street with a perfectly good apartment (or as you say flat) to go to.
Anyways they arrested him on trespassing. As you may know it gets hot in New York so the inmates have these vent to let cool air in. He was so out of it that he didn’t open his and was on meds. He cooked. They didn’t even notify the family.

Btw yes Broadmoore was excellent!

I think the guys who act out & deal with hallucinations are in special solitary wing. Being alone is hard on some of these guys but the prison is required to give out meds. Some of the general population guys hear the voices too, they do not act up and sometimes they won’t be noticed unless they show paranoia…

Is this the series you saw (just searched around on Youtube):

1 Like

A related video:

Mental Illness in America’s Prisons

1 Like

yes thats the one.

here are the eps if anyone wants to watch them:
Part 1: here or here
Part 2: here or here

1 Like

Not good.

Either they are tossed in a regular jail with regular inmates and do not receive treatment of any kind OR get sent to a prison for the criminally mentally ill, which are equally terrible places. I read a book on one once, and it’s basically a place full of very violent and dangerous people (some of who faked being mentally ill to get in!) with minimal security (because they are seen as patients and not prisoners) and it’s generally just…bad.

The criminal system doesn’t really know how to deal with those with mental illness right now, to summarize.

My son was put in a detention center at one time.
Another instance was when he was in jail-and again I had to call and call and harass until they put him by himself. I was also able to get the people at social services to go to the jail and administer his injection.
Another time he was in jail for a month-they did not separate him and would not listen to me. He ended up getting beaten up. At court he had a black eye. I let that judge have it, but it was too late.

It seems to me that Jail is probably worse than being on the street. On the street at least there are nice people who will try to help. In the jail - you’re surrounded by the roughest, meanest people in the world (it seems).

1 Like

Yeah life Is a give and take.

What can you do?

I did four years in the Georgia Prison system and they put you in a Mental health dorm with other mentally ill people. You sleep in a cell with another mentally ill person. You can walk around the dorm and watch tv. You leave your dorm to get your food. You go to the yard at the same time as general population but you always return to your own dorm. The guards are not specially trained so they act like your a normal person. You have to clean your locker everyday except on the weekends and you also have to clean your cell everyday. It is kind of like going to boot camp for a very long time. I’ve been to two different prisons and at one the cell doors don’t lock so your free to roam around the dorm all night. But at the second one I went to you were locked down at night and had to stay in your cell. There is a lot of violence toward the mentally ill by the guards because they don’t know how to deal with you. I don’t recommend going to prison.

1 Like

My own mind can be like a prison cell to me half the time so I don’t even want to know how much more I would suffer in a prison cell. The local jail was enough of a nightmare for me. I’m lucky that I was only there for a day at the most for drinking and drug related charges on three separate occasions.

1 Like

You are right.

Jail is evil

The biggest sample of mentally ill people is a prison in the US. I ■■■■ you not. It’s somewhere in the north east

It’s ■■■■■■ up.

1 Like