I want to lose weight but don't know where to start

Ever since I started to become overweight, I’ve had a strong distaste for being so. I’ve tried multiple times to try and get into shape, but my attempts are usually short-lived and I can’t gather any motivation for exercising on a regular basis. I used to go to a gym with my mom but after a few months of not going, she cut her membership. A few weeks ago I asked her if we could go again but she is parsimonious and though I understand, it makes me so annoyed sometimes.

Earlier this morning, I stepped on the scale and I now weigh 181 lbs. I’m still not 100% sure where and what I should do to get myself started on exercising, so I guess I’ll start here? Are there any exercises you guys do that have helped you out with losing weight that can be performed in your home? Along with that, do you guys have any advice for exercising, eating healthy, etc? Anything helps!

3 Likes

I’ve lost 3.75st I increased my activity through walking more and stopped eating ready meals.

I only rejoined the gym 3 months ago with the aim of bulking up a little.

My main tip is never go shopping or to a fast food joint hungry. I tend to make more sensible food choices that way.

1 Like

I lost weight by cutting my carbs and eating lean protein and vegetables. Also I practiced yoga which you can do at home. Look online at yoga poses or youtube videos for yoga for beginners. Also lifting weights is good. I use 3 pound weights and do arm exercises (you can look online for arm exercises). Also walking in the neighborhood is a good idea.

3 Likes

I lost 50 lbs just by changing my eating habits, get the junk food out of the house, don’t buy any of it just healthy stuff and just keep enough to get by, its okay to look in the fridge and there is nothing there. I work though so get a work out there but you can lose weight just by not eating as much.

It takes time for the stomach to tell the brain its full, so you train your stomach to eat to much as you reduce you will find you can’t eat as much and when you do eat slower.

2 Likes

What is your diet like.

Cutting sugar is the first thing. If you have a sweet tooth there are facts out there that might make you utterly disgusted with sugar… especially what it does to the blood stream and brain. Inflammation. The body should be able to process mild amounts of sugar quickly… but too much and the body gets gummed up. Inflammation of the brain can lead to depression, headaches, and a stressful state of being. AKA the crash. Also when the body is running off of sugar it isn’t using stored energy or otherwise burning fat.

Sugars, sucrose(glucose) and fructose(fruit sugar) are the easiest chemicals for the body to turn into energy and so it likes to burn them first. If it has more available than needed it starts to store them as fat. So sugar is pretty bad.

Also fat itself in the form of oil or lard can be found all throughout the diet. Oils are hard to avoid but heavy forms of unsaturated fat like fried food are a heavy load of fat directly into the body… easier for the body to store than burn right away. Especially in the presence of sugars… sweet sauces or whatever you are dipping your fries in.

So avoid sugars and fats as much as possible.

Carbohydrates are given a bad wrap… that adkins diet can be pulled off but it fails to really do one thing. It fails to train the body to burn ketogenic sources of energy. Which are carbohydrates and proteins. If you get your body used to breaking those down instead of sugar… you are going to burn that weight off without doing a thing. Really it is sugar you need to avoid… the body with start burning fat and get used to using fat as a resources until it’s gone… and then once you are there you want your body to burn carbs… at that point you can eat pretty freely so long as you avoid excessive sugar and maintain more of a ketogenic state.

Again let me emphasize… Sodas, brownies, cake, a lot of prepackaged sweets. Avoid them. A bag of doritos will be better for losing weight than a bag of m&ms… calories are probably comparable regarding single servings… chemistry is not.

You don’t have to go above and beyond and start eating salads every meal. Or starve yourself.

Wine is sugary, liquor is as well. Light beers and pale ales are a decent way to keep sugar consumption down.

Get good hearty snacks like individual packages of almonds… if you are hungry between meals eat a package. Avoid sugars lol… just avoid sugars.

Exercise is a hard thing to pick up and maintain. Riding a bicycle is a casual way of getting good exercise without noticing the effort. Jogging and running are hard on the knees… and walking doesn’t really do anything at all… just takes a long time.

lifting weights can build muscle but you gotta be backing that up with protein intake. I’d suggest chicken, fish, beans, and plenty of nuts… these are all low in fat and there is virtually no sugar.

Are you a binge eater? Are you a smoker? There is a lot to be said for those who live outside the constantly need for consumption… whether it is this or that… Some folk simply just are and then eat occasionally for sustenance. They don’t eat when they are mildly hungry… they live with that when it sets in… they eat when it’s meal time and have no drugs or smokes in the mix at all. Really puts one in a position to have a lot of self control to escape the tendency to be indulgent.

Love to keep talking about this. I’ve done a lot of research into nutrition and only plan to do more.

I’m a ketogenic who is about to go vegan with an emphasis on getting my nutrition from grains, beans, and a few other sources of oil (olives, canola, flax)…

It should pan out to be a whole lot cheaper to eat and my body should be very much still ketogenic and also ready to build muscle mass… as well as have all the vitamins and minerals needed in the diet itself. I should also be able to eat just about as much as I want of the stuff… and probably should… without gaining too much in weight.

I’d strongly advise you sink 15$ into getting an omega 3 supplement and complete multivitamin from your local grocer… they have off brand bottles that last 3+ months for less than 10 bucks and the omegas… whether you go with just the 3 or a “3, 6, 9” combo… you’ll have a good basis of nutrition which will allow for a lot more of the dynamics in your metabolism to start taking effect.

Also citric acid and other strongly acidic foods will really offset the proper absorption of nutrients. Save that glass of OJ for a snack between meals.

2 Likes

honestly the best and eastiest first time: go on a 30-45 min walk every day.

Trying to make drastic diet changes or telling yourself you have to go to the gym every day or even 3-4 days a week in the beginning, is very tough and usually short lived (I know from experience.)

Once you have a baseline routine set, you can start adding in other things. I like to swim at the YMCA for an hour. So i’ll go 2 times a week. Then I’ll go 3 times a week, start cutting out certain foods or soda etc.

You are a lot less likely to stop completely and getting mad or down on yourself for not fulfilling difficult expectations that you’ve made this way. You CAN do it. you can lose the weight! I’ve lost 25 pounds this way. Just be patient with yourself.

2 Likes

Treat food as an addiction and whenever your hungry stop and say I’m full then the hunger goes Away try not to eat anything 3 hours before bed time workout your tdee and count calories, and if you want, exercising; just go for A run listen to music you feel good you look good

2 Likes

Thank you guys for all of this! I really, really appreciate this. Tomorrow, I’ll be sure to write this down on paper and keep it somewhere in my house where I can see it everyday.

I pretty much eat almost anything, but I have sugar cravings on a regular basis because of Seroquel which is really annoying.[quote=“Azley, post:5, topic:60116”]
Are you a binge eater? Are you a smoker?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I am a binge eater and tend to binge on sweets if my mood is bad enough. On the other hand, I don’t smoke and I feel sick pretty much every time that someone lights a cigarette in front of me.

1 Like

I was not extremely over weight. but I’m much happier with my weight now that I’ve given up sugar. Appetite is under control no yo-yo weight gain. I drink water with a little lemon juice. Kills the sugar cravings also peanut butter is a good sweet treat.

1 Like

if you dont want to go to a gym try p90x i use it i love it. About 5 years ago i lost 100 pounds by doing that and not going to a gym. i gained it all back and some so now i use that and go to the gym and its working

1 Like

I’d talk to your doc about sugar cravings… they might have something for that

1 Like

You could download an app called my fitness pal which tracks the calories you eat in a day. You can also add exercise to it. I just downloaded and started using it, I have found it really good for insight into what I’m putting in my body vs what I’m putting out.

2 Likes

I know how you feel! I am trying a new diet and exercise plan, it’s called Max’s Challenge. The food is really basic, like, for example: 80 grams of rolled oats in the morning with a scoop of Bulk Nutrients protein powder, an apple for mid-morning snack, and then a cup of coffee or tea, then, for lunch: tuna and rice, and for dinner: roast chicken breast with green leafy salad and sweet potato. If you like, I can send you the beginner’s nutrition plan (i.e. the first 4 weeks).

1 Like

im the same as you, so ive started by just doing little things like going for a brisk walk while my husband runs at the side of me, as he is training to do some stuff

i also do some leg stretches, i put my leg up on the side and lean my arms over my legs and you can feel the stretch at the back of your leg.
i dont do this every day because i have no motivation some of the time, but i have cut down on full fat milk and chocoate and sugar like coca cola cos i had a habit of getting upset and they were my comforts xxx

i know i have lost weight off my boobs as it always goes off there, but i havent been weighed yet. xx

yoga is good at home, just sit back straight cross your legs and put your hand on your knees just meditate for 10 mins. then uncross your legs slightly apart and try n touch your toes with your finger tips, this stretches your leg muscles just count to ten leaning right to touch your right toes, ten. then leaning left to touch your left toes ten.

then if you have any energy cos it takes it out of you when u have no motivation, lay on your tumy arms abouve your head

lift your legs a cple inch off the floor count to ten.

then get up.
standstraight feet apart
arms above your head, lean over to your left hold ten. then lean to right hold ten
then straight up.
arm above head lean straight down
ten seconds.

now wobble shake it off.

complete.

do this when you feel loike it it cold be middle night if your wide awake!! or early in morning.

have some water afterwards its important to do that

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hope your ok xxxx

2 Likes

I’d suggest a lifestyle change if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

eg regular exercise, or going vegetarian.

If you go an a diet, and lose weight on it, then you need to carry on the same diet… indefinitely… to keep the weight off. very hard i think, i’m not a believer in diets.

Maybe get into the routine of going to the gym, or having long walks, swimming, jogging, cycling.

You can try exercising in your own home, such as an exercise bike, but in my experience that’s very boring, and difficult to keep doing.

If you find an easy way to lose weight, I’d be interested to know it myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing I’ve done to lose weight is pace back and forth in my room. I usually go at least 30 min at a time.
There was a period where I was walking for two hours a day in my room. If you have the space in your house maybe you can try that. Walking is a great exercise because it is easy, and it burns calories. You don’t have to be super motivated to walk.

2 Likes

Find a sport you enjoy. I like to go mountain biking a lot :blush:

Now a days its’ not a big deal to lose weight. Just search on google for better method.