I tired of living with my parents

Hi.
I am a 33 year old male and I live with my parents. I do not work for 8 years. I currently taking a Computer Networking Course and I only get out to have these classes. That’s my only relationship with the real outside world. My parents are almost 70 and I am finding it very hard to live with them. God forbid, but I just cannot stand them. There is no family time, growing up there wasn’t any, ever. They only speak at lunch or dinner time. I don’t have anything to talk about with them and I get irritated at the slightest thing. I don’t have money to have a place of my own and I predict I will live at least with one of them until he or she is very old. I don’t know if I can handle it. I spend all my time enclosed in a room 3 meters by 3 meters and don’t talk to anyone because I don’t have any friends - it’s a long - or short - story. I don’t know how can I live this way anymore.

1 Like

Are you getting SSDI or SSI? Have you ever seriously considered moving out into an apartment with someone or renting a room in someones home? Or even moving into a group home, just to be around other people? It would seem preferable to your current situation.Your life situation sounds very unhealthy. Something has to change. What mental health resources do you have in your city or your vicinity? Maybe living with your parents wouldn’t be so intolerable if you got out and attended a support group once a week or if you found a day program you can go to three or four days a week. Good luck.

2 Likes

Here, where I’m from there are few resources. There is no SSDI or SSI. I live in Portugal, Europe and the support network is very narrow. I attended a day hospital but got out to attend the current course that I am taking. There is no other support system here and financially we\I don’t have any resources for private care. There are no group homes where I live. There is a state facilty near by but the people there are so mentally conditioned that I would find it very difficult to live there, even if I was to be accepted, which I don’t want to. Thanks for the advice.

You need to take on new opportunities
You need to get out more and u will feel better for it
Can u not look into volunteer work?
How about going to college to do a course
Do u know of any arts and craft course near you?
How about taking a walk outside
Take steps and get out you will feel life at home wront be as bad when you get out and about

2 Likes

It might help if you got out and took a walk in the sunshine and fresh air occasionally. It’ll give you a little space instead of being cooped up in a small room.

Thanks. I go out when it’s good weather, but it gets boring alone after a while.

I don’t want to bug you with too many ideas but have you considered getting a cat or a little dog for companionship? I’ve read many, many, places that having pets is very therapeutic for people with mental illness including schizophrenia and-depression.

1 Like

i don’t think you should move if you are not ready,

you have to be sure that you will be able to survive on your own

or atleast get plenty of help and support if you do

so you don’t end up getting unwell and not paying bills etc

just don’t want to see you sleeping rough on some corner bc you couldn’t 'make it; on your own,

i’d like you to try but if you are going to do it make sure you are ready and always take precautions,

good luck :v:

1 Like

Thanks.

@77nick77 I can’t have a pet. My parents don’t want one. It’s kind of rough.

@Resilient1 I have no money to live on my own and it seems I won’t ever have.

well i have been trying to build up my tolerances and i hope to one day get a job to pay my own bills,

i don’t want to rely on state benefits but i am still waiting until the time is right,

its a huge thing because i might not be able to reapply for my benefit entitlement again if i get a job and then get unwell again, (its a worry of mine)

but i suggest you try and test the waters, maybe do something in your community or something like voluntary to give you a bit more experience and confidence etc.

idk thats all i can suggest

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion

If my mother was still alive I would like to have lived with her. My dad is married again but I prefer not to live with him. I’m currently fortunate enough to be in a position where I live sort of on my own and I can do basically what I want. It is very difficult to meet new people if you have MI. …so living with your parents is to be around someone you know even if the situation is far from perfect. Being on this forum is a positive step. Doing a computer course is a positive step. Do small things at a time and appreciate that you can do it. I used to love fishing but I was too sick for the past couple of years to do it…but I have not given up. Last Tuesday I finally went fishing and yesterday I went again. It was baby steps that finally let me get out in the sun for almost a full day. I hope that in years to come I might be able to work again…even if it is just volunteering for a few hours per week to begin with. You’re still young and got your life ahead of you. You have to try and make the best of your situation.

2 Likes

I feel it doesn’t matter what I do, I will never be well. And that for me is not acceptable.

Hey everybody is different. In my case I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 1980 when i was 19. I was put in my first psyche ward then? From there I was put in a house for schizophrenics for a year with no medication. I went through hell every minute of every day. I spent most of my time fighting to keep my sanity. I wasn’t working, I wasn’t going to school, I had no real friends, I had no money, I had no car. No girlfriend. No independence. My symptoms were severe. I got no relief. i saw no end in sight to my illness.I made no progress, I saw no “light at the end of the tunnel”. Every day was a new nightmare of psychological distress. After that home I was put in a locked psychiatric hospital for 8 months. I was put on medication but my symptoms never let up.I suffered horribly. I got out in 1982 and moved into a nice Residential Treatment Home. I became somewhat stable. After a series of small steps I got a job. After a year in the home I moved out into supported housing. I got a car. I made a couple friends. I still had bad symptoms but nowhere near as bad as before. My life got detoured by a nasty crack addiction but I kicked all drugs in1990.You can avoid that pitfall. But as you may know, today is my 54th birthday. I have a part-time job, I take online classes, I have a car, my own place. My symptoms have significantly receded. In my twenties my situation was hopeless. But now I have a life. I’m writing this to show miracles happen it’s not hopeless.You may not get better. But you may. Stick with it, don’t give up. You never know if you are going to get better. A lot of people improve. Good luck.

1 Like

By around 25 I asked around to the staff who where supporting me. It was my case worker who helped me in the end move out from living with my parents. Best move I ever made and helped a great in the long run with my independence and growth. So ask your support crew for help with this.

I feel you. I need to just get out of that place sometimes walk with the dogs and the birds and the winter trees maybe even have a pitty party in the forest. I want a ciggy but I know I’d think I’m a poser, I like the internet though I can put on a wiggy and get a little closer…