I think of psychosis like a lightning bolt

That is my best metaphor for psychosis. I think of it with an extreme rather than what it really is (whatever that may be), but when I hear the word psychosis I think of a lightning bolt, like it strikes down on you. U?

1 Like

I like the dimmer switch analogy better. Elyn Saks uses that analogy. Psychosis is never really on or off. It’s just more powerful at times and less powerful at times.

The key distinction is that it’s never really completely switched off.

3 Likes

“Oh, how the storm is threatening, my very life today/
If i don’t get some shelter, yeah, I’m going to fade away”.

2 Likes

I think of psychosis as more like a Tidal Wave…

It slowly builds then overcomes and near drowns you and sweeps you out to sea.

2 Likes

I think of psychosis as drifting through the cosmos without seeing the nebulae or any of the spectacular things that happen in the universe. Like floating through a vacuum able to see the stars around u but never able to reach them. Sometimes the stars will mock that u are floating through a void. In some ways thats quite peaceful besides the mocking u part.

1 Like

I like the wave analogy too…

For me personally… it feels like more of an unraveling… just a little here… just a little there… it picks up speed, and then it’s all undone.

1 Like

My last psychotic episode hit me suddenly. It has gradually died down over the last 15 years or so. I wouldn’t say it was like a bolt of lightning. I think it was a result of my behavior leading up to it. It wiped clean years of seeming health. I can’t come up with an analogy.

“Oooo, how the flood is threatening, my very life today/
If I don’t get some shelter, yeah, I’m going to fade away”.

4 me it iz more powerful then super nuclear bombs…haha,

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.