I lost my temper and it was my fault

My grandmother has dementia. It’s not her fault but 6am she’s making tea , 3pm she’s going to the cooker, 4pm she’s going to the cooker. She’s constantly going to the cooker even when we have told her not to. It’s not her fault she doesn’t even know she’s got memory issues. But she told me I’m against her and she doesn’t want to live here anymore then I lost my temper too. We phoned my aunt so she can go there but now she’s saying she doesn’t want to go.

2 Likes

Caregiver burnout is a thing. I’m sorry you’re feeling it. Are you doing any therapy or have you looked at doing self-directed therapy to help when you feel your temper starting to slip?

4 Likes

I need to talk to the GP about it tomorrow … This isn’t healthy for either of us … Don’t consider myself to be a caregiver but she’s with me in this home a lot of the time. My mum is her main carer. Since my other grandmother died I’ve mostly had my temper under control but I definitely need to do something about it now.

1 Like

A lot of people with dementia end up in a specialized nursing home because they become too difficult or aggressive.

2 Likes

My mum would outright refuse for her to go in a nursing home. in my culture it is frowned upon to send loved ones there, she doesn’t understand that sometimes its in their best interests.

1 Like

I had never heard of caregiver burnout before :open_mouth:

1 Like

We took care of my Mom for several years till her death.
She had dementia
Never considered leaving her in a nursing home.
It’s frowned upon in my culture as well.

1 Like

We had my 93 year old(when she passed) great aunt move into our house for maybe a year and a half before she passed.

I thought that I have a lot of drs appointments…Driving around to her medical appointments was practically a full time job for my dad. Plus she had nurses visit her here at home and stuff as well.

I imagine it can be exhausting.

1 Like

I honestly hope I can take care of both my parents in their later years.

I’m an only child, so that means all the caregiving will depend largely on me.

I only hope and pray I will have enough strength, patience, and compassion for it.

2 Likes

Yes but I don’t know why its frowned upon in any culture. Sometimes the nursing homes have better resources and expertise.

1 Like

I really struggle I want to have more compassion and patience but I’m not sure why I sometimes struggle to feel it.

1 Like

I think nurses and healthcare worked get something like that. Ive heard it called compassion fatigue.

1 Like

Being a caregiver to my Mom was very difficult
Especially towards the end but because I love my Mom sending her to a nursing home was not an option for us.
But yes sometimes it’s warranted

Although we didn’t send her to a nursing home, we did enroll her in a senior day care center for patients suffering with dementia.

It really was a Godsend

2 Likes