I keep punching things

I don’t know I just keep getting really angry and wanting to punch things so I do. I have really bruised knuckles and hands right now. I punched the tile wall at work today and my knuckles cracked open and bled. I just get so angry at work and can’t control my temper. Plus I like the pain when I hit things. I know it’s bad but I don’t know how to stop it.

1 Like

I get violent thought, too. Usually involves throwing around furniture. But it always just a thought. Consider coping techniques. Breathing, thought stopping, time out, eating/drinking something, or talking to a trusted co-worker.

It sounds like your suffering. I’d use talk therapy.

2 Likes

I went through this same phase in middle school, although it’s changed a bit. Instead of just bruising and bloodying my knuckles, now I fracture the metacarpal of my right pinky from punching concrete walls (or a refrigerator - my latest victim). It helps me tremendously to be on a medication that is known for having good properties against aggression, such as Haldol and Thorazine (both of which I can attest to). See if there’s room for a med adjustment and get started with a therapist if not already. I’m learning CBT myself right now to control my anger and learn coping skills. It works. I have a long history of violence to unravel, but if I keep at it, I see myself getting better. Good luck!

2 Likes

i also have an angry mind. no matter who or what is to blame that’s the way it is.

thank god i don’t act out.

having this inside isn’t any good for me.

judy

I smashed my apartment wall a couple of years ago and now I have to fix it somehow.

This is a psychologically addictive behavior, similar to other forms of self-harm. Your brain learns that when it gets that angry, it gets the sudden rush of endorphins from punching things. Over time, it learns to slip into extreme anger more quickly, for smaller reasons, so it can seek that rush of endorphins.

The best way to counteract any addictive behavior is to find a more adaptable replacement behavior. You need something that gives you relief from anger, but without causing physical damage to your body. Some people like running or other forms of exercise for this reason.

While you work on replacing the behavior, you can also work on learning calming techniques, to slowly wean your brain off the pattern of extreme anger followed by extreme relief. I used biofeedback for this, but other forms of therapy could also be helpful.

3 Likes

I used to punch things too. Really mangled up my hand a few times and scars on my knuckles too. Im not sure why exactly I used to do it. Ninjastar has a good theory but I used to run regularly at the time I was punching.

1 Like

I sometimes feel frustrated and angry
but it’s not obvious.
Usually these things appear as
homicidal voices or dreams at night

The other day
I dreamt that i punched and kicked
a guy to death

One thing I find helps a lot when i get worked up is cold water. go to the bathroom for a few minutes and keep splashing really cold water on your face and neck.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll have to try that

1 Like

Go to a stress releaving room, some say it helps. It could also be that you need to increase meds or change them, off meds I made holes in walls, broke the glass of a door, etc

1 Like

I punched them with my fist.

Punching stuff including myself is a symptom that thankfully went away with the paranoia and delusions. I remember when I was institutionalized early on, I would always have this off-center lump on the top of my right hand. Took me weeks to figure out that I was punching stuff, swelling my knuckles, and I had an old deep cut off-center on top of my hand that was stitched shut, and it was swelling like 5x as much as the rest of the tissue hence the lump.

Do you just get angry at random, or is something the voices say making you angry? For me it was always being driven to anger at what the voices were saying to/about me.

I get angry at random it seems and the voices can make me angry too

2 Likes

Well Zyprexa makes my voices nicer so they don’t make me angry. I’ve never dealt with being angry at random though, there’s usually a reason I can identify for it. Sorry you deal with that. I have had intrusive thoughts though, not emotions, but thoughts. Everyone’s sz/sza is a little different.

Hope things get easier, still punching items is better than punching yourself. Don’t want to do real damage :open_mouth:

Stay safe, we’re always here for you!

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.