I have a little under two weeks to pack all my stuff

I’m moving to a new, regular apartment in a little under two weeks and I’ve only got seven small boxes packed. I feel a little overwhelmed. I have no friends in good enough health to help me do this so, it’s all up to me. I hope I don’t procrastinate and wait until the last day. I have a history of doing that kind of thing.

18 Likes

oh man, I hate moving…better just do some an hour a day and then it won’t add up on you? hope the move goes smoothly.

2 Likes

Relax, do a little packing at a time. Pace yourself, maybe set aside an hour in the morning, 45 minutes after lunch and 45 minutes in the evening. Don’t look at the whole picture, just concentrate on the times you have set aside and chip away at it.

Maybe you could find a neighborhood kid to pay a small sum of money to help you pack and take the burden off yourself. Do your neighbors have kids? Ask them if you can borrow them, lol. Do you have a community laundry room? If so, maybe try putting up a piece of paper with your name and phone number asking if anyone has kids you can pay to help you.

Heck, I did stuff like that when I was a kid. When I was in sixth grade me and my friend walked through our apartment complex with a bucket, two sponges and dish soap and knocked on doors asking people if they wanted their car washed for 75 cents. Or on Saturdays we pushed my friends power mower through neighborhoods and knocked on doors asking if people wanted their lawns mowed for $ 2.00.

I’m sure there’s some kid out there who would appreciate making $6.00-$9.00 to pack books and kitchen stuff or clothes for an hour or two. But you also need to give them lemonade if it’s hot.

I feel like I just stepped out of a Norman Rockwell painting to help you.

4 Likes

Do a little at a time. Or just get up and get all the gear together and just do it! I’m weird like that! I’m either watching the grass grow or I’m totally committed. I’d suggest a little a day!

I think your new digs sounds great. Good to save money and just keep on keeping on! Hope it all goes well. I did a lot of moving when younger. Nowadays I have so few possessions. I got rid of most of my books and records and cds and just travel light!

2 Likes

Thanks for getting appartment… hope u live quietly in a new appartment…!!!

3 Likes

Waiting until the last day: Been there, done that.
And it sunk me because in a move there are lots of details to take of and if you plan on waiting until the last minute or day… other things tend to come up that need attention. And your whole schedule can go to hell when you… need a copy of a key immediately. Or it starts pouring rain on your last day. Or on the last day you run out of boxes or tape. Or you lose or break something that will cause a big delay. Or you have to clean something. Moving is a big life event and it just helps to do everything under your control to make it go at least semi-smoothly, and that means planning ahead. Things come up…But you still have control over many things.

2 Likes

I appreciate your advice, @77nick77, but I live in a senior care community apartment and all of my neighbors right now are in their 80’s and 90’s. And none of them are healthy enough to help me move. Also no kids under age 55 are allowed to live here. I literally have no access to young people. I got to do all the packing myself.

I’m hiring Two Men and a Truck to do the moving. But, they will use three men because I have an upright piano and a heavy safe to move.

2 Likes

Slowly focus and take your time. Remember your health is important as well. So Don’t over work it.

1 Like

Label each box as to what’s in it, or you can write numbers on each box (1,2,3, etc.) with a corresponding list as to what’s in each box (I think this is better because it may be difficult writing on the outside of each box as to what’s in them).

I’m happy for you.

2 Likes

I just gave my boxes general titles like Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Etc

2 Likes

Less chatting and more packing LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I propose the mods ban you until you get done packing.

1 Like

Just remember, there’s going to be some of your belongings that you can’t pack until the last day or the day before. For the last day you may need a little food in the house, maybe your toiletries, a few clean clothes, a plate and a fork and spoon maybe etc. Plan ahead so you have a few empty cartons (and tape) for those last things on your last day so you can use them that day and then pack them up.

Are you going to try to get your cleaning/security deposit back? Remember to cancel your TV and internet service in your old place in a timely manner and also arrange to have them hooked up in the new place. Remember to file a “change of address” form (if it applies) for the post office so your mail will get forwarded to your new place. If you are getting SSI or SSDI or Medicare they want your new address as soon as possible. Will the water be running and the electricity on in your new place the day you move in? You might want to double check that a few days or a week ahead of time.

If it’s carpeted, do you have a vacuum? You’ll have to get the keys so you can get inside your new place!!! See if you need light bulbs for the new place. Also, it’s a handy to have some kind of food and drink on moving day in your new digs so you are not stuck with no food overnight your first day there. Also, make sure you have a roll of toilet paper for the day you move in so you don’t have to rummage around in cartons looking for one.

1 Like

Everything I own can be store in one box

1 Like

Good luck hope all goes well for you!

1 Like

Such good advice. You must have moved a few times yourself.

2 Likes

Yes, quite a few times in my life.

1 Like

Travelling light is a very good idea, @rogueone.

1 Like

Well, guys, I’m all moved into my new apartment. And I love it. My best friend loves it too. I’m slowly unpacking things. I’m unpacking about two boxes a day. I’ve been in my apartment about four days now. I haven’t gone swimming yet but, I’ve found my bathing suit!!! So, I might go swimming today. I am very excited. The pool is popular here in this 100 degree heat.

5 Likes

And to think that I gave away almost everything I had about four years ago. I’ve accumulated this much stuff in that amount of time is just amazing. Scary really. And all of it on charge cards that I paid off immediately. To think that I could have put all of that money in the bank or in an investment account. So sad.

2 Likes