I hate to admit this but

I’m not handling my daughter’s mental illness well. It’s affecting my mental illnesses. It’s so stressful to be so powerless and watch an adult child refuse treatment anc not function at all in life. I’m overwhelmed. I’m exhausted. I’m worried. And I’m not well right now.

9 Likes

I don’t blame you. I’d be the same.

1 Like

Hey, I’m sorry @CoCo . Maybe you need to take a break from thinking about her mental illness for your own mental well being. Maybe try to focus on something else for a bit.

1 Like

She’s not going to school, not working, and has no friends. What can I focus on? Any suggestions?

1 Like

Do you still play piano? Maybe practice that for a bit to take your mind off it. Otherwise maybe another hobby that you can take your mind off it for a bit? Just maybe give yourself a break, is all I’m saying. Not asking you to forget about your daughter. If it’s bothering you, though, give yourself some time off.

3 Likes

I no longer play piano. My only hobbies are this forum, the gym, and tv. I’m having trouble getting into regular hobbies and have been for a while

1 Like

That’s a shame that you no longer play. Can I ask the reason? Do you no longer have a piano or do you just not like it anymore, or is there some other reason?

1 Like

Long ago I got injured at work. Then I got brain lesions. Since then, I can no longer play well so I hate playing because it’s so awful. It hurts extremely deeply

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to take you off one topic that bothered you and on to another :confused: .

1 Like

It’s ok. I didn’t feel bad that you asked

1 Like

I am so sorry you are exhausted and not well…feel for you. Maybe take a hot bath with bubbles for a while, or shower in hot water if you prefer…I like to daydream while in the shower.

5 Likes

I do love baths. I just need to find some hypoallergenic soap bubbles. It’s a great idea.

3 Likes

Can you remind me, what exactly are her mental health issues?

1 Like

She has PTSD from being abused by drs as a kid (trust me! We went through Hell together). And then she was abused unbeknownst to me from 13 years old to 21 years old by her boyfriend. I didn’t know because she kept telling me how great he is all these years. It just sucks.

1 Like

Is she disabled? Maybe she needs to apply for disability so she can support herself

1 Like

I suggested that to her. So far, she refuses.

EMDR is useful for PTSD apparently.

You could suggest she download an EMDR app for her phone/tablet or even buy an EMDR book.

It could be a gateway to getting help from a professional.

1 Like

I actually already did suggest that. She’s doing it online but is still unable to handle life

1 Like

@CoCo, my adult son was severely mentally ill and he refused to accept the AP depot injections he needed to get well. So, he was very psychotic and suicidal and could not handle life or his many problems. And I had no idea how to help him as I was very sick with MI myself. It was all more stress than I could bear. So, I placed him in a group home. Looking back now, it would probably have been better if I had made the group home temporary rather than permanent. Or had placed him in his own apartment.

1 Like

I’m not going to send her to a group home because I don’t feel she’s s good fit for that. Bud I do appreciate you telling me. Thanks!

1 Like