I had some lentils and rice

They were a little on the crunchy side but good. I maybe simmered then for 15 minutes.

6 Likes

Mmm - when my rice is crunchy I can’t stand it.

2 Likes

My favourite curry has lentils

It’s a Dhansak

Not sure if you have that in the US

2 Likes

Lentils are very good and help your digestion though you’d never know just by looking at them. Half a cup of lentils has the protein of 2 oz beef. I think that’s right, it’s been awhile, I talked to my Bangladesh pdoc and she said she knew people there who ate lentils for protein. I’ve made lentil porridge before, which is potato and lentils, salt and pepper, you want to be sure and not burn the pot so you simmer it on low for about an hour, it’s hard to cook and not overcook. It’s different than lentil soup which is easier to cook. The lentil package usually has a recipe for lentil soup.

4 Likes

So what was crunchy rice or lentils or both?

1 Like

Lentils are meant to cook for a whole hour.

If you add a can of diced tomatoes and seasoning and tomato pure you have a lentil bolognese that you can have with spaghetti.

5 Likes

Not necessarily. Twenty to thirthy minutes max. But it depends on recipe I think.

2 Likes

Yes you are right @SacredNeigh7
To cook lentils properly they should simmer in the pot for nearly an hour.

2 Likes

@SacredNeigh7

Tried soaking them in water beforehand? When I am not pressure cooking soak those in water for ~10 minutes.

3 Likes

Rice has to cook longer than 15 minutes. Lentils can cook for 20, but it depends on the recipe.

3 Likes

Yeah I don’t soak my lentils beforehand, maybe that’s why it’s taking me so long to cook them.

Thanks for the solid advice @vyom!

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I have a ton of bagged lentils and rice free from the food pantry. This was my first attempt at cooking some.

3 Likes

I can’t remember for sure but I think I remember reading that lentils take a really long time to cook lol. I hope they were good.

1 Like

It´s delicious. Lentils with rice, try it. In some latin-american countries they call it “matrimonio”, which means wedding (not only to bean and rice).

2 Likes

The best way to cook white rice is 2 cups water to every 1 cup rice. Rinse rice in a colander until water is clear.

Put in a pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil,then turn off and cover the pot with a lid. Letsit about 15 to 20 min. It keeps you from overcooking.

Or invest in a small rice cooker. Walmart has 3 cup cookers for less than $20.

2 Likes

Thanks @anon4362788. I’ll look into a rice cooker as I got a pretty cheap egg cooker at Walmart that works well. I think it was the rice that wasn’t completely cooked.

2 Likes

No I’ve never tried that.
Thank you for the tip.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.