Schizophrenia.com

I got an offer to do a genetic metabolism testing

My doctor had me take a dna sample to test me for my genetics to see how effective my med is on my metabolism. It will help me in the future with antipsychotics i hope and how effective those meds are for me. I’m kind of interested to see what the results are. But i don’t see him for another 3 months!! it was free is the only reason i did it!!

I didn’t even know tests like this existed. when i learn anything i will tell you guys what i found out if anyone is interested.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in learning more about it!

I hope it can be of help to you.

Blessings,

Anthony

Thanks for sharing. I too want too know, if that test is accurate we will have no problem switching meds without the fear of relapsing.

I never knew a test like that existed. Thanks for the heads up @runnergirl.

I guess the test is normally several thousand dollars. i want to say 3800 or 4800. I don’t remember what. and medicare doesn’t use it but i guess they were offering something through my doctor where they will give these to you free. I’m skeptical on how accurate it is. I know what meds have been effective and haven’t in my life. What if the test says those drugs that weren’t effective according to their test ARE effective?? I’m skeptical.

I would be a bit skeptical too. I know that this testing is new to psychiatry. So it’s only logical to think that the process might need some adjusting to perfect the testing.

Genetic testing has been used in oncology and hematology for many years now. And it took years to perfect. But it HAS been perfected for those specialties now.

I do see a lot of promise in it though. If it is accurate, it could save literally YEARS of trial and error in finding the right antipsychotic medications.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

Did you find out about the tesults?

Not yet. I won’t for another month or two until my next appointment with my doctor. The test results come back in a week so my doctor has seen them i just haven’t yet.

i see my doctor i think the second week in february so i will find out more then.

1 Like

I found out my test results. Most of it made sense with the drugs i’ve tried and not had good reactions too. The only one that didn’t work with my results was abilify. I did horrible on abilify and it said that my body metablized it normal.

But i got a copy and it’s good to have for future use.

basically just took anti depressants and anti psychotics and labeled them if i metabolized them normal, to use with caution or not normal. There were only a few that were in the extreme not normal list for me. Most of the drugs i metabolize normally.

1 Like