I drew what schizophrenia is like for me

The dark figures are voices, and the red words are delusions I have. The black scribbles are what my thoughts feel like whenever I’m psychotic, and they are filled with delusional thinking. You can’t tell very well, but the girl in the drawing has messy hair and pajamas on, not because she just woke up, but because I go days without even brushing my hair or showering, especially whenever I’m psychotic. I often keep my pajamas on all day long, even if I go out in public, but I don’t do that as much anymore because I’m told to change clothing. You may have noticed she has a blank expression, despite the voices and delusions she is having. This is because I used to have extreme flat affect whenever I was psychotic. You also may have noticed the dark circles under her eyes. This is because I have these dark circles, and often don’t get enough sleep whenever I don’t take my medication. It’s hard to capture everything caused by my schizophrenia in one drawing, but I tried my best.

42 Likes

I have those delusions too, relatable pic.

4 Likes

I’ve had pretty much the same delusions the entire time I’ve had schizophrenia. Some old ones have almost gone away, and some new ones have popped up before, but overall they are the same.

In fact, my delusion of life being a simulation only popped up about two years ago, and it’s now my most intense delusion.

6 Likes

It’s one of those delusions that might be true in the future. It sucks.

3 Likes

The camera delusion kind of evolved into a “God sees everything you do” belief, and the “never alone” feeling is still there even though my voices are almost dead quiet now. I can still hear super-faint speech.

The mind reading / thought broadcasting belief was 80-90% stopped with low dose Abilify, but I still get glitches.

The simulation belief is pretty strong but I don’t feel like I’m “outpacing” it with a brain that is on overdrive anymore (not as in being too smart for the simulation, but having it generate too much garbage for the simulation to keep up), now I’m just comfortably living in it.

5 Likes

My hallucinations are completely gone on the medicine I take at the moment. My paranoia and delusions aren’t completely gone, but they definitely aren’t as intense.

I used to believe I was being poisoned, but that delusion is gone now. My camera delusion ties into my simulation delusion, as most of my current delusions do. My mind reading delusion doesn’t bother me as much as it used to, but it still gets worse whenever I’m not taking my medication.

My delusion of life being a simulation, like the delusion that people can read my mind, doesn’t bother me as much it used to, although it’s definitely still there.

I also have derealization, and I sometimes think that this is what causes my simulation delusion to be so intense. Whenever I’m having derealization, nothing feels real. Everything seems a little off.

4 Likes

My derealization/dissociation is like 98% gone. I think it took 5-6 years though.

2 Likes

Sucks if you only get negative things from your symptoms. For me it can be quite addictive though I was only diagnosed last month and I’m 27 as paranoid sz. Meds made me boring and thoughts aswell. Good luck. Cool pic

3 Likes

With all due respect, why do I want to rate that drawing X?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this. My delusions are the EXACT same, plus some others. My thoughts also run wild and it’s always hard to get control over them. Hang in there and keep expressing yourself through art!

4 Likes

Then maybe there’s a chance that mine will go away too. I only started getting it about two or three years ago, so it might be a while before it goes away.

1 Like

What do you mean?

Thank you. I love art, and I post many of my drawings on here. If you like drawings with realism, you can look forward to future artwork I post.

2 Likes

lol here in italy many decades ago when there were the elections between the christian democratic party and the communist party the christian party used a poster that said:
In the secret of the ballot box God can see you, Stalin can’t!
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love the symbolism, @redanne.

2 Likes

Thank you! 1515

1 Like

Very nice drawing @redanne!

2 Likes

Thank you! I was kinda expecting you to reply here. You almost always comment on my artwork, so I always look forward to see what you say :smile:

3 Likes

life does feel like a simulation to me. everything seems so precise and perfect it seems unreal.

2 Likes

Do you have derealization? I have it and it makes everything seem unreal. It fuels my simulation delusion.

2 Likes