I boycott Chic Fil A

If you boycott clothes/toys from a country that practices human rights violations then the fabric that you buy to make your own clothes will have been made in that same country and your children will end up having to play with sticks and rocks.

3 Likes

One lady I looked up to was raving about chic fil a, but when I ate their little miniature chicken sandwich, I was very very disappointed :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I am originally from Los Angeles and I remember when it became public that the owner of the Chateau Marmont was an alleged Conservative (sorry if this sounds political) but everyone said they were boycotting the hotel. My friend had a very good point. He said “You’re going to boycott a hotel that you can’t afford and will probably never go to anyway but you can’t boycott a chicken sandwich?”

3 Likes

Who cares? If it’s a good pleasant stay and a good value, go for it. Not everything has to be political. Sometimes you’re allowed to just enjoy life.

2 Likes

There are obviously bad companies out there. However is boycotting them/driving trade away from them such a good idea? What about the people who would lose their jobs because of the worsening financial state that could occur due to such boycotting?

I agree that someone’s political stance is no reason to boycott a company. But if they are doing something to your community that jeapardizes your way of life or that of innocent people then it’s got to go.

If a job is based on an unfair act then it needs to be replaced with a better job.

The thing about boycotting is making sure your dollars do not go toward supporting causes you despise. Chick fil A actively supports anti LGBT+ programs. I don’t want my money going to those.

Even if it means less money for the workers. There’s enough people who support them and that don’t care, so those employees get paid, but my money isn’t supporting causes that make me feel ill.

2 Likes

The last time I ate at Chick fil A was quite a few years ago. I remember it was Veteran’s Day, and instead of giving me a discount the cashier gave me this little bag that had a toy cow in it.

I got to talking to the cashier because he was also a veteran. He told me that Nixon was the reason we lost Vietnam.

And while I was eating my food he demonstrated how he could smash my clavicle using Taekwondo.

5 Likes

I can only imagine the look you gave him.

Why are some people just stupid?

2 Likes

I respect the man for his service. I think he just saw a lot of crazy stuff in his time.

3 Likes

Point taken. I’m so thankful for the service. :wink:

2 Likes

When I was a kid growing up in the South Bay Area in California in the 1970’s we had a lot of farmworkers working the fields. They were usually Mexican immigrants who picked tomatoes, lettuce, grapes, artichokes etc. and they were paid next to nothing.

The workers could barely support themselves and their families on the low pay and the owners of the fields took advantage of them in any way they could.

Then a Mexican man named Caesar Chavez, a farmworker himself, started organizing the workers and got them to band together and fight the farm owners for better pay and the same rights that any other workers in California got.

There was a big winemaker around that time called Gallo wines. They were huge in the 1970’s but they were one of the worst employers in terms of how they treated the farmworkers. Most of the grapes that were harvested in California belonged to Gallo wine. So Caesar Chavez organized the farmworkers to take a stand and picket their fields and get people to boycott Gallo wine until they paid fair wages.

All this got into the newspapers and suddenly it was like the farmworkers were David, and Gallo wine was Goliath. The movement started getting publicity. The farmworkers, under Caesar Chavez started picketing farms and the movement just grew. They just wanted equal pay and equal rights.

Well, my church as a kid was very socially conscious. When all this started happening, my church got involved. They supported the farmworkers and donated money and time.

Which led to me standing out in the cold when I was about 11 or 12 for five hours in a supermarket parking lot with a clip board and asking people as they walked to their cars if they would sign this petition to boycott Gallo wines until Gallo started treating workers right.

And this is my boycott story.

7 Likes

Nick, that’s very admirable that you stood up for a good cause. :+1:

5 Likes

I’m not going back to the last burger King I went to. They deliberately made my food gross.

2 Likes

That’s a great story

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.