I bought a new (used) car

My minivan is killing me on gas, it’s really bad.

With my new job driving around to people’s homes and businesses it no longer makes sense to have it. It’s eating up my profits.

Today I bought a red 2008 Volkswagen Golf City. It’s 5 speed manual 4 cylinder which will use way less gas so it is perfect for booting around the Greater Toronto Area meeting clients. It’s in good condition, I took it for a test drive and it drives nice.

I think I did a good job negotiating. He was asking $4399 “as is”. That concerned me because I didn’t want to be responsible for any certification costs. I got him to agree to $4100 and have it certified for me.

I don’t know about other countries but in Canada a car must be inspected by a mechanic and certified safe and road worthy before you can get insurance. Selling it “as is” meant I was liable for any repair costs my mechanic says are needed before he can certify it, if you’re not careful that could run into thousands of dollars. By getting the seller to certify it I don’t have to worry about that.

I pick it up next week. First I need to go to the ministry, pay taxes, transfer ownership and then get insurance.

I dont have a picture so I downloaded one from the internet This is exactly what I bought.

2008-golf-city-i0001

22 Likes

COngrats on the new car!

1 Like

Nice car, congrats!

Inspections are done in some states in the US, but not others. When I lived in Pennsylvania and then years later in Maryland, both of those states required inspections for both safety and emissions. No inspections in my current state, or in the last state I lived in, though.

1 Like

Nice car @Headspark!
I owned a VW before similar to your car but in grey

1 Like

That’s a good looking car @Headspark.

1 Like

Nice whip, bruh! Also congrats on the new job.

Oh, you don’t have to get vehicles inspected in Alberta. They’d knock four out of five farmers off the road if they did.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Nice looking car.

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens @freakonaleash @Wave @SpringRose @Kxev @shutterbug

I stand corrected. In Ontario a car must be certified.

3 Likes

I’m actually working on my RIBO for Ontario right now.

1 Like

Have fun racing around in the manual.

1 Like

I had a 2004 Golf that I had for about 5 years and it never let me down. Good cars.

Question for people from Canada, do you have all manuals and just newer automatics?

Thought that all North America didn’t know what a manual car was :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah ive never had to inspect a vehicle to insure it. Mine would defs not pass right now :laughing:

1 Like

Over here you have to provide a roadworthy certificate to say it’s good to drive on the road. It becomes problematic if you have problems but otherwise seems to work well. Good luck with your new drive!

1 Like

Shweet!

Congrats! How much mileage on it? Is it a stick or automatic?

1 Like

That’s great! I hope it lasts you a long time

1 Like

Thanks for your post. I am thinking about buying a car after my old one conked out.

1 Like

The majority of cars are automatic but manual is sometimes an option.

This will be my 4th car and 2nd manual since I started driving.

1 Like

Thanks!

250,000 km, about 150,000 miles. (A little high but my current minivan has 300,000 km). German engineering is world renowned so I’m hoping it will last a long while.

Stick. 5 SPD. 2.0 L. 4 cylinder. SOHC. 8V

I took it for a test drive, rides nice.

1 Like

Thanks @Rester @Joker @CoCo @LevelJ1 @rogueone @Patrick @martinhersey

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I picked up my car today! This is it…

2008 Volkswagen Golf City

5 Likes