How to get rid of intrusive thoughts?

I suffer from intrusive thoughts, and so far they’ve been so overpowering, the only thing for me to do is hope they go away on their own. Which ususally happens after a buttload of prn and extra sleep.

However, it’s starting to keep me from being able to do things in my everyday life, like participate in conversations and remember things. Or even form sentences if they’re particularly bad!

The intrusive thoughts mostly revolve around my birth name for some reason.

I could really use some advice!

And I don’t mean “wear a light hat”, but like, actual scientific methods to get rid of them quicker. Anyone?

1 Like

Automatic thought when I’m eating,

You’re fat.

Advice? Love.

2 Likes

It helped me to know via the psychologist that intrusive thoughts are normal and everyone gets them.

You just have to learn the skills to not let the passing thoughts have significance.

I am still working on this.

My problem is that to me they behave in a similar way to my voices when I am psychotic.

They bother me less these days.

I used to be completely overwhelmed by them.

Since being on Levomepromazine (Nozinan) my head has been a lot clearer and I am able to sleep again

2 Likes

Checkout my OCD supplements, herbs thread you can try these supplements for getting relief.

1 Like

Apart from intrusive thought what other mental issue you are facing? OCD can occur from various issues and knowing from other issues facing we can know more about the root cause of OCD.

1 Like

NAC with cofactors and Holy Basil aka Tulsi tea find very useful for intrusive thoughts. Both disrupts the intrusive or chain thought pattern.

1 Like

I got rid of them by using meds and doing a hobby like playing videogames while listening to music.

1 Like

Hi, For a quick and easy way to block out ‘voice harassment’ as thats what I’ve termed it, place headphones on and get immersed in some pleasing music or start a conversation with some one near to you, or if alone just hum to yourself, as you need to block out the stimulus and your Subvocalization, I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Not pay attention to such thoughts. Main thing, never respond to it. If respond to it it gets stronger on the other hand if not respond it gets weaker.

2 Likes

transformation and deprogramming of the mind a renewed soul and spirit, just like i did…

2 Likes

Also keep yourself busy so that your mind don’t focus on these negative voices.

2 Likes

I am suffering from intrusive thoughts too. I hate them. Maybe try to do something you enjoy like go out for an iced coffee or tea. I fear people can read these thoughts and they are not understanding. I am mortified when people can do things to me.

Benzos work most of the time. My therapist also taught me to not have a reaction to these thoughts but I know what it’s like, it’s difficult to stop them.

1 Like

Yer not alone – I also suffer from thoughts like demons n angels talking to me in my head …
Also personal insults and self doubt …
My best advice is do something to take it off your hands like tv or music — I wish I could be a better help to you but I have not quite figured out how to stop them yet :neutral_face:

2 Likes

my mind is empty now, i offloaded the lot

3 Likes

I have severe OCD, as do many members of my family, so I do know some what on how to manage intrusive thoughts. The first thing to know is that you can’t get rid of these thoughts. Now, they may lessen in severity and how often it is, but like I said, they can’t go away forever unfortunately.

What’s helped me ever since I was twelve is to find something that occupies the mind, whether that be a hobby or something else. What also helped me is to take an SSRI, which is a antidepressant but helps tremendously with intrusive thoughts. In fact, I would say it helped me the most. Another thing you can do is therapy. Therapy has helped me a lot also, especially fighting against the rituals I do after my intrusive thoughts.

I plan to go back to therapy for myself because my OCD as gotten a lot worse here recently. But I do want you to know that you’re definitely not alone; there are many, many other people suffering form this too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.