How to get my "rituals" under control for the New Year?

I’ve been living with these “rituals” for years now and I’m determined to stop them this year.

I talked to my therapist about it,

Still I can’t help feeling something bad is going to happen because I didn’t fulfill them today.

How did you get over “rituals”?

Is that an OCD thing? If so, all I know is that sometimes antidepressants are used to treat it. With varying degrees of success.

1 Like

Yes,

It’s an OCD thing.

I’ve tried antidepressants and not had much success.

Plus, I super don’t want to have to take another pill,

You know?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking…OCD. If that’s what you mean. I use to have to do things a certain way or I thought something bad was gonna happen. You just have to not do it and see that everything is fine when you don’t. Just move on to something else. It really is as simple as that.

2 Likes

That said. I still occasionally catch myself doing it anyway.

1 Like

Many people with rituals have to do them in a certain order with a certain amount of time between rituals. They have to do them “perfectly.”

The first thing you may want to try is response interruption, a way of slowing things down between doing the rituals. You want to give your brain some time to think about what you’re doing. For example, go ahead and do the first ritual, then you MUST wait 15 minutes before you do the second ritual. Continue to do this (wait 15 minutes between rituals) as you do the rest of the rituals.

You may also want to add changing the chronological order in which you do the rituals. For example, do the first ritual, second ritual, fourth ritual, third ritual, etc.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

That’s a really great idea.

Thank you, @anon16583342.

1 Like

The best way to get rid of a habit you don’t like is to replace it with a habit you do like. The best way to swap out habits is to concentrate on replacing them one at a time.

1 Like

Solid advice, @shutterbug,

Thank you.

I’ve had ocd in the past. I still have it ever so slightly. Some of my old rituals were checking doors and switches etc. Checking for spiders around the bed. And it was always at night

Since I moved in with my partner I must be feeling more safe and secure cause I havnt had these rituals for over a year now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.