How to control anger?

what methods do you use to control anger? i use walking and since i have no one good enough to talk to i feel exercise will help me better and reading books and studying about some topics as well will keep me floating…

1 Like

Getting angry makes me feel horrible so I avoid it. How do you feel when you get angry?

I try to avoid situations that I know will make me angry. If I realize I’m angry I try to be careful about what I say or do as I know my judgement is impaired. I remove myself from the vicinity of what is making me angry. Then I do relaxation exercises that distract me from it (including exercise). After I try and resolve what made me angry if I can.

I do anger management therapy books every couple of months as I’m aware being angry is a bad habit I can easily fall back into.

2 Likes

Same here. I try to move away from the place when angry.

1 Like

Walking saved my life many times. And writing.

1 Like

Mood stabilizers help me.

2 Likes

Count to 10 or even 100.
Then act

1 Like

I trybto distract myself by watching videos. It takes a lot for me to get angry. So when i do get mad its bad. I often yell at my mom but pretty much she is drunk when im mad as thats the pnly thing that makes me angry. When i get mad i get paranoid.

For me anger is a problem when I have had lots of conflicts with someone in sequence. I’m much more likely to lose my cool with someone who has repeatedly angered/annoyed me.
One way to avoid this is to talk to them about what is annoying you and let them know how you feel.

1 Like

When I get angry (usually in argument with my husband) I remove myself from the room and go downstairs with my phone and book and sometimes my journal too. I lie down on the sofa and wait for it to pass.

2 Likes

Play acting on the angry thought in your head and keep going through the consequences for acting on it. You probably won’t go through with it.

I have to physically remove myself from the other party’s presence.

Go on a drive, go outside and have a ciggie (not advocating smoking or anything— it’s just what I do :sweat_smile:), take the boi for a walk.

If I stay, sometimes things will escalate as I have a quick temper and my words can bite sometimes, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Yeah mood stabilizers help

1 Like

Any time I quit taking my med’s I have huge anger problems, in a few days they come out in crude and unforgivable ways. I’m lucky I haven’t gotten my ass seriously whipped.

1 Like

Running, powerwalking, cycling, any kind of exercise that requires my full attention and the effort of my whole body. When I’m angry it feels like I’m physically full of wasps and exercising hard lets them out. It also has to involve me physically moving AWAY from the site of the anger trigger, and continuing to move the entire time, even if it’s just walking in a circle around the block over and over

2 Likes

Meditation helps… other things too…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.