How much have you recovered? What is your secret?

It’s been a year since I was last psychotic. Since then my negative and cognitive symptoms have improved dramatically causing me to have a better outlook on life and better functioning. But I feel self motivation plays a big part in improvement. I now have a few friends, 3 months of job experience, and lost a little weight. Next up I signed up for a new part time job and two IT classes to do when I get back from China. My secret is to participate and try my best to fill up my time with activities, unless I’m sick and in need of rest. Also don’t compromise on life. Waiting to “be happy later” is a bad idea. Try to have a high quality life every day.

2 Likes

what psychotic? haldol injection?

Are u highfunctional…!!! Tukey…!!

Depends what you think high functioning means… Is it how good your brain is or how much you accomplished? I have a hard time with work and school. But my doctor thinks I’m “very” high functioning.

2 Likes

U can work i know…keep doing job once u r in hawaii…god bless u my friend…

I think I told you before, lol, but I’m not in a hurry to work right now. I want to get some kind of computer degree first. The job is only 3 months and I’ll drop it if it doesn’t work out…

I have a decent life. I like it.

I still live with parents on a disability pension and while my parents are around it’s a good life. I live to my terms. I have interests and hobbies. I get out and do some volunteering a couple of days a week. I play competitive cricket at 47 so keep fit and healthy relatively.

Secret. I take my meds religiously and I am ultra pro active when it comes to meds and function. It took me a long time to settle on what I now take but it works well for me. You have to be your own advocate when it comes to meds in our system!

1 Like

i thank god every day for being healthy and alive and stable, so much to be grateful for, i think the main ingredient in my recovery was my medication though bc without that i would be having mostly persecutary delusions and acute paranoia (my main symptoms) also grandeur and negative symptoms too, i am so blessed with a good med

1 Like

Well, I’m 56 and still working. I was diagnosed in 1980. I’ve been driving my own cars since 1997. I’m still chipping away at my college degree. I had a friend for the past 6 months but we kind of drifted apart. I still see my old roommate occasionally. I live about 85% independently. The symptoms are way down. Life is still rough most of the time but I often have peace of mind when everything slows down and everything including my mind is quiet.

My secret?

Lots of help, lots of hard work, and lots of luck.

1 Like