Can people with schizophrenia drive a car?

I was majored in Engine and Automobile Engineering in College. After graduation, I joined the Joint ventures of GM in Shenyang,China. But I got fired after half a year.

I always want to apply for driving licence, but my parents persuade me not to drive a car because i am on Amisulpride and wenlafaxine.

Can you drive your car? Is it difficult for you to do it?

4 Likes

I still drive after diagnosis. No, it’s not difficult, it’s like second nature since I’ve been driving since I was sixteen.

1 Like

I drive.

However, my wife is on Lithium and doesn’t feel comfortable driving right now because of the side effects…poor concentration…etc.

1 Like

Thank you guys for your replies. Now, I can ride a E-motorcycle. I try applying for a driving licence next year.

3 Likes

I just drove 1500 miles in two days without incident. If s is properly controlled, you can drive.

Does your Chinese government allow you to post on this website…or are you doing it carefully without them knowing?

Just curious, Walter…

And welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Hi, Patrick

When I was an Engineer in the Joint ventures of GM. we always discuss about the manufacturing issues of auto parts with the Engineers in North America by faxing…

later till now, I have been working in a local company in Shenyang, China. In 2006, I search online about the mental health forums, and joined a forum Mytherapy which is located in Canada.

I think I talk about the mental health issues and what i do cannot affect the security of China.

So, I can post here, I think.

2 Likes

Well, it’s nice to have a fresh face on board!

I just wouldn’t want you getting into trouble with your government over posting on this forum…which is why I asked.

1 Like

Understandable.

1 Like

I drive. I drive forklifts too and I’m pretty bloody good. I too was in the auto industry. It’s a skill like any other. You need to practice to get better regardless whether your sz or not.

2 Likes

Does your medications affect your concentration?

1 Like

I have my moments but I drive well. It’s ingrained into me because I’ve done it so long. For years I was a vehicle accessories fitter. I drove cars all day everyday. AFter that I got a job in a warehouse and drove forklifts for whole shifts. Reach and conventional.

It’s a skill like any other and the meds didn’t really affect me. I Just drove and still do. I even learned to drive in America which is left hand drive. Australia is right hand drive…If you can learn that you really can drive…and I learned back to my home town too.

1 Like

OK, your posts increase my confidence to apply for a driving lience.

1 Like

If stabilised on meds then of course they can , if they have the necessary skills. I don’t have those skills,so have never taken a driving test.

I have the basics of driving committed to memory but I only have a permit at the moment, not a license, so legally I can only drive with a fully licensed driver in the vehicle with me. That’s less to do with my mental illness symptoms and more to do with my general lack of confidence.

1 Like

I drive just fine…it depends on the person as well as what med you are on i think. Like when i was on geodon i could not drive because it sedated me so badly and made me feel like fainting in the heat. I got into one accident and after that stopped driving until I was off of it.

If you know your meds affect you like that it is better not to drive. Or if you get really distracting bad hallucinations it is probably best not to drive too.

I drive. Other than occasionally forgetting where I am going all is well.

I am on Amisulpride and I drive.

The doctor has to sign me off once a year at the moment

Did have it taken away for two years before as I was really unstable

As long as you remember to drive on the right side you’ll be ok

I drive. I have gone a long time with no accidents, and all my accidents were from before I was medicated.

My car now mostly drives itself. I control the speed, but it can stay in a lane on it’s own.

1 Like