How many here drive a car as a diagnosed schizophrenic?

I don’t have a license. The idea of going super fast and being in partial control of what happens to me but not in control of everyone else’s actions makes me extremely anxious. I would be so overwhelmed trying to navigate (bad sense of spatial awareness) and also while paying attention to multiple lanes of traffic. I just don’t trust other people enough because I can’t personally control them. I’m comfortable enough being a passenger because then I have no control at all and my control freak tendencies don’t kick in.

1 Like

I got my first car when I was 17 than diagnosed at age 19. Entered the mental health system and I didn’t drive again until age 23. Been driving pretty steadily since then except from '90-'95 when they didn’t allow driving in the board & care home I was in. I started driving again in 1997 and have driven several cars since then.

I’ve had about ten accidents since age 17, only two were my fault and no one got hurt. One was a minor fender bender. Got some tickets though.

The DMV has never asked if I have a mental illness and I never volunteer the information and I’ve never seen the question on any form since I was 19 in 1980.

2 Likes

The last time I went and got my license a guy actually asked me if I had any condition that would make me a unsafe driver. I said no but that’s the only time anyone has ever asked me that and I am nearly 50. I have a motorcycle endorsement also but I sold my Harley a few years ago. Might get another one soon.

2 Likes

I drive but I feel like other cars are stalking me and following me. It’s bothersome. It’s the sickness.

1 Like

I’m licensed to drive trucks up to three axles and full-sized passenger and school buses. I’ve passed my medical for this with my doc knowing my entire medical history – nothing hidden. Both my civvie and professional driver’s abstracts are completely clean.

1 Like

I’m a very good driver, and I’ve been driving for 20 years, but my sense of direction has really suffered since my psychotic break. Ever since then I can’t seem to commit directions to memory anymore, even if I’ve been someplace dozens of times. It makes me feel vulnerable and lost.

Even before my troubles, I much preferred living in NYC where I could just walk or grab a train somewhere. I didn’t miss my car at all when I lived in Manhattan.

2 Likes

I drive and own my own care. Sometimes I get really paranoid while driving but I consciously choose not to react to things like people following me.

3 Likes

Ilive with scitzoafective disorder is hard fo me.And im out of meds things is happening oraund me.is not easy .

Schizophrenia never stopped me from driving. When I first came down with it I drove from Arizona to Ohio in full psychosis not something I recommend. But seriously I drive everyday just not that fond of freeways and avoid driving in bad weather.

2 Likes

Although I think part of the reason schiz don’t drive is that sadly they can’t afford a car.

1 Like

I feel I’m $1000 CAD a month away from being able to afford a car and driving lessons.

1 Like

If my car was diagnosed as a schizophrenic, I would probaly leave it alone.

1 Like

I always think anyone behind me is aggressively tailgating me. I get upset but then I have to keep looking and checking to see if they are actually or are not. Every single time.

1 Like

I drove for forty years. Although I was always a lousy driver, I had to give it up three years ago due to getting into an awful lot of serious car accidents and getting a lot of traffic citations and getting totally lost in very familiar neighborhoods. I will never drive again.

I would advise it to not smoke any weed.

2 Likes

A while back i drove for 50 hours and only slept for 3 or 4 hours once a day. I did not die. Hence, schizophrenics can indeed drive cars. Now if youll excuse me, im going to go back to staring at that police car outside my place, Dirty cops!

1 Like

I had my license revoked by my doctor. I have probably only driven for three months over the last two years. I haven’t been judged as being stable enough.

I won’t get it back unless I am psychosis free for three months, comply with treatment and follow recommendations.

My old pdoc didn’t care about my driving, but the one I have now is.

1 Like

Where do you live that you can have your license revoked by your doctor?

I live in England, U.K.

I have a history of going missing as I think people are chasing me and I have ended up in places hundreds of miles away.

I think this pdoc has actually read my history, so I doubt that kinda thing works in my favour when I comes to driving.

1 Like

Ah, ok. I guess that’s a reasonable measure for a doctor to take.