How long until you get psychosis again after coming off meds

Hi all. Im someone who has gone off and on medications i believe 4 times now. Normally after i get off medications i dont experience psychosis again for another year. Is that the same with others? Do you get psychosis sooner or later? Whats your experience.

3 Likes

Last time I quit meds I went to the hospital after 2yrs of being off meds as I wasn’t feeling well. They put me back on meds. Now I feel well.

2 Likes

It can be three months for me up to a year. How quickly my insight deteriorates depends on how much stress I’m under in my daily life.

1 Like

Took me four years off meds to end up in the hospital again.

1 Like

About 2 weeks and I’m off my rocker!

1 Like

Im afraid to go off of them again. So im not going to. I think the more you go off and on the more frequent psychosis becomes. At least i think

1 Like

Initially years ago when I went off my meds it took five years

Nowadays it takes three days

1 Like

2 days with less meds and I’m ready to take it again.

2 Likes

@pasteyface but those 4 years off meds must have been peetty good. So you were basically in remission. Were you suffering from cognitive decline and negative symptoms in those 4 years? 1 time i was off meds and doing well. Then i started drinking beer and getting drunk a couple of times in a month and i got psychosis again. So i think that might have done it.

I kinda wanna keep going off meds and not go back on until psychosis comes. Then when comes go on meds until psychosis comes. Rinse and repeat. Like right now im 3 months off meds and no psychosis. I think this method is better as im not sleeping as much as i was when i was on meds.

2-3 days

off meds no sleep

no sleep=psychosis paranoia voices and hallucinations out of control

i fear that i will be weak and act on voices command

1 Like

Yeah its hard to believe ppl get psychosis from 2 to 3 days of not taking meds. For me it takes a year+ off meds. But then again there are ppl out there who take meds and still have auditory hallucinations. I guess some ppls illness is worse then others. Idk.

2 Likes

I’m with @yoda123. Without meds, I don’t sleep. I can hardly sleep on meds let alone without. So, without meds, psychosis comes pretty quickly. Like within a day or two.

2 Likes

Last time I made it 4 days and was in an ER on day 5.

2 Likes

I made it about 10 months before I snapped.

1 Like

For me it was multiple major life events within 6 months. Sometimes I think if that momentary recurrence of psychosis was worse than initial episode?

I might off AP for 10 months or so.

1 Like

I lowered my Zyprexa to 7.5 mg two weeks later I went to university a little stress and I was psychotic I returned to the dosis given by my pdoc it took two weeks to get out of it.

1 Like

For my son and I, it was and is about 3 months.

One time, for me, it took only a couple of days before I became psychotic.

I relapsed while lowering my Risperidone to 1mg and becamr wildly psychotic

about 3 months maybe 5

I don’t dare to go off meds.

2 Likes