How long have you lasted without meds?

Like 5 days until I didn’t feel right and my voices were becoming unbearable and my delusions were slowly increasing again. Meds are a lifesaver!

Same here. My parents believed (hell they may still believe it) that mental health issues are things people do to themselves. Part of my routine whenever I went to AND come back from a friends house was to be searched for drugs. I was like 10, and I was literally getting patted down for either Meth or Weed (depending on whether I was manic or depressed)! I didn’t even smoke my first cigarette until I was 21 and I threw up everywhere lol

They were totally convinced I was high all the time to the point of paranoia.

1 Like

@TensorCats Man I’m sorry they treated you like that. They must be pretty dumb to not even learn about what the heck mental health disorders even are. They’re just assuming from what their mind comes up without even learning anything what it is. My mom thinks that since I’m not acting strange all the time she thinks I’m cured and that I don’t need my meds anymore actually she’s been trying to get me to lower my dosage. She just can’t accept that I have SZ. Everyone else accepts it but her saying that “my son isn’t crazy” well I somewhat am crazy but I’m mostly just odd and what goes through my head and my beliefs are just highly weird, I don’t see it as crazy. Maybe you should try to educate them on mental health.

2 Likes

3 months here! I picked up some pretty good habits. Making my bed and doing my laundry. Unfortunately I had a break. This was 1 month ago. I have recovered signficantly but I have insomnia now. I am happy you guys recovered, can I? I have been compliant all other times and have taken care of my mind like none other.

Crazy and mentally ill are totally different things. Mad man laughing on the street that has never been to hospital is crazy. He decided that acting this way is how everybody should act cause its fun…maybe liberating. Its denying all the rules and acting out as a choice. That being crazy.

Sz is being mentally ill. Mentally ill people are not crazy. …atleast the majority.

Crazy people never get hospitalized. They think they are the only sane ones on the planet.

Your mom could benefit from mental illness cource or lecture.

2 Likes

It’s not that my parents didn’t believe in mental illness, they just had a really stereotyped view (i.e. Only thinking people who were raving homeless on the streets were mentally ill, they didn’t believe mentally ill people could look like regular people) and hated the mental health system. They thought if you got help you’d get a label that would ruin your life and drugs that you’d get addicted to that would also ruin your life.

Still it’s very rough to not have support regardless of situation.

Too long. 15 years? My life was in a slow, steady decline where I just kept discarding activities, things, people I enjoyed because it was too overwhelming to keep doing them. My world just got smaller and more limited as it went. I wish I had gotten on meds a long time ago.

1 Like

I stopped in March and had to go back on them two months ago. I was sure I was misdiagnosed, but eventually it all came back. I’m guessing I lasted so long without because it was an injection, so the half life was like 4-6 weeks.

1 Like

I can go a long time because I always have insight. I have GAD, delusional disorder/paranoia but even when I have my delusions they are possible ones not bizarre. and I know they are most likely my imagination. I am so aware my delusions are not mainstream that i usually won’t share them. I push them back in my mind…

@Anna

About 1 of 4 Americans (25% of the population)have some sort of mental illness and out of those 4, one of them has a serious mental illness (about 4% of the population.) Most of us look completely normal and deal with our illnesses privately.

Do your parents still have that stereotyped view? Maybe they should look at this list of famous mentally ill people:

1 Like

Thankfully I started educating them and have really opened their minds so they are not really like that anymore. However my mom does still have trouble sometimes understanding certain behaviors of mine that were related to mental illness such as not being able to clean, groom myself, isolation, not being able to get out of bed etc. Luckily now that I’m stable I’m not really struggling with any of those anymore. (Well I’m still bad at keeping my room clean but now it’s just laziness LOL)

1 Like

Three or four years. After I was diagnosed I’d take meds for awhile then convince myself I didn’t need them when I got better. I did that several times, but I don’t know for sure. I got into too much trouble the last time I was off meds, so I’ve been on them continuously since October 2008.

1 Like

The last time I missed a dose was by four hours and I had a debilitating episode even after I took the meds.

I lasted a year and a half without meds not knowing I was sick and it was hell. Idk how my heart and body handled the intense paranoia and utter fear I had from the most absurd -I guess u would call them minor delusions. Then I self medicated with benzos and adderall with my old doctor that I didn’t tell them anything was wrong. That landed me pleasantly psychotic and bc I’m too smart for my own good when it comes to doctors my parents had to bend the truth and say I was a danger to myself so I was court ordered to take meds. I don’t blame them tho- I abhor the invega injections I was on for a year but being taken out of the psychosis made me finally realize I was sick and needed a low dose of some type of ap.

I stopped The Invega injection October 23rd and haven’t taken my new med yet to this day bc the Invega is still in my body- will be until like March. So I feel great so far and it’s been like 2 1/2 months with nothing but the residual Invega.
K I’m done sorry for the tangential rant

I didnt know that court orders to take meds.

In estonia the declair you imcompetent by court and take your passport and id card. And you get an official who organizes your retirement home. And if you live in returement home you dont get money from gov. You only get pocketmoney …its about 30 euros …im not sure.

But yeah…if you dont take pills you are roasted in estonia. That is if your behaviour is not normal off meds.

Omg. That’s horrible. So they don’t allow severely bipolar people to work?

And what is the impetus to getting declared incompetent? It seems like that’s the worst solution so you would be best to avoid that for the rest of your life. Bc that’s a life sentence… and no passport? Who are they to say even if ur insane that u can’t go be crazy somwhere else?!

Is that what they did to you?

And I was only on a court order for a year. I just got off it technically today. All it meant was I HAD to comply with my doctor’s treatment which usually had to be an injection. It also meant the police could pick me up anytime anywhere and take me to a hospital but only if I was acting in a way that wasn’t normal. It made me feel not in control of my life tho. Sucked. And my lawyer said some people who are multi episodic never get off the court order. I guess I’m a lucky one…

No i wasnt,but they decaired my brother incompitent…cause he didnt go shopping for food and he was dangerous to himself cause he injected gasoline and he also broke all tires of 20 cars.

Its not that bad. They dont put anyone away cause they have a psychosis and end up in an ambulance. Im not sure who they declair incompitent and on what basis.

But my friend was and she lived some years in a retirement home. She is now out working full time and is decraired competent. She has anger issues…got in a fight with everyone. One guy stole from the store cause voices told him to…he was put away. And a girl in the hospital spit out all medicine and didnt get better…she was put away. She basically was not able to funtion.

Three years without medication
Hopefully I’ll hold on, it’s not easy but the price of drugs is my art, it’s better for me to die than not to do art

1 Like

7 months