How long after quitting antipsychotics did sex drive and everything you lost come back to normal?

hey people, so i am fed up of these drugs i was put on, and tbh, i dont think it was necessary for them to put me on these anti-psychotics, i was put on risperidone 2mg, and i have apparently lost a lot of things because of this drug…like sex drive for example, so anyone who quit these anti-psychotics, how long did it take for sex drive and everything to get back to normal? and also was anyone else like me put on APs at a younger age? like at 20s? and also did anyone else get psychosis naturally like i got or am i the only who never did drugs but got psychosis naturally? i mean naturally psychosis,not drug induced psychosis, just natural? so anyone with similar experience please answer these questions,

1 Like

I’ve heard Wellbutrin helps with the decreased sex drive caused by APs. But honestly I don’t know. Could take weeks, months even.

Sounds right. I think the damage is done for the most part.

I never did drugs. I’ve been in antipsychotics since I was 17.

When I quit the haldol and was switched to perphenazine it took about 3 weeks for a tiny bit of my sex drive to return.

1 Like

these words of yours make me feel more suicidal than i already am…:frowning:

1 Like

I have 5mg left of in ega how long till I’m normal

From my knowledge antipsychotics very rarely cause permenent damage so you should be fine. I have sexual issues too I feel your pain. I think mine might be caused by the years I had smoked cigarettes though and they are only exacerbated by the antipsychotics I take

Hey man. I’m just saying it’s not 100% meds. It could be the illness like depression too. If you smoke like I do, it can cause lower blood flow and cause dysfunction.

Most people recommend meds or altering their lifestyle. Took me years and to lower expectations and be more realistic.

If you get off you risk harming your mental health. There are meds out there that might be better like latuda, abilify, and vraylar. Welbutrin was mentioned too.

Exercise, diet, and stuff helps.

Sorry for upsetting you. If you feel suicidal, get help man.

In the future they’ll have better meds.

If you want to have sex, skip meds for a day to try it out. A doctor told me it’s a common practice.

I said the damage was done for me because I feel I’ll never be the same.

Talk to your pdoc about Wellbutrin. It’s supposed to help.

1 Like

Uhhh really quick for me, within 2-3 days though it may have taken longer, like 1-2 weeks, for full function to return. 2-3 days for noticeable improvement.

Wellbutrin helped me regain sexual function when geodon took it away. Even improved it from what it was normally I think!

A couple of months

1 Like

Don’t give up. It will eventually come back. It did for me after I stopped taking antipsychotics. It was months though.

What helps it along is certain foods like arugula (look it up) and supplements like Citrulline. And lots of exercise and weight lifting.

to everyone who was put on antipsychotic medicine, how do you get out of the depression of loosing sex drive and all other things you lost? and especially the young ones, like im 23 now, and i just feel bad that my doctor completely ruined my youth, i used to be highly sexually functional, but this doctor never even said this would happen and just gave me the risperidone, and i trusted him, and now i dont have a sex drive and i cant drink, i cant smoke up, all this just makes me super depressed, so especially young people put on antipsychotics, how do you get out of this depression of the things you lost? and how do you live with all this ■■■■?

im sorry for the delay, but just now noticed your message, i feel like you are a person who could help me right now , is there any way to contact you and have a chat? like an email or contact number?i would like to have a chat with you if possible…

You can private message me here.

1 Like

but how?? i cant seem to find any message buttons? can you guide me?

Yes, a couple of months or so.