how improved should i be to try working instead of receiving social security?

I receive SSDI social security for schizoaffective and anxiety. i feel like i’ve been improving a lot over the recent year. how much improved do you think a person should be to consider getting off disability benefits? like, how many years of little symptoms, and more importantly, what kind of odds should this person have? the way i see it now, i have gone about a year with little symptoms, and might have a ninety percent chance of success. right now i’m telling myself ten percent chance of failure is too much, and a year of improvement isn’t enough… so i’m just telling myself to let social security decide for me: if i tell my symptoms and they warrant me disabled enough, i’ll just stick with it.

I consider myself well enough to start part time work when I’ve gone at least 12 months without a hospitalization. That hasn’t happened for a few years so I rely on my SSDI for rent and food and attend a day program to keep me busy. I also volunteer once a week at the animal shelter.

I tried working after a year of not working. It didn’t go to well. I can’t lose ssdi or I wouldn’t be able to afford my meds.

I would suggest working part time and keeping benefits for now. Generally giving up benefits and working full time is not something I think most schiz have any business doing. It’s pretty low statistically that they end up working full time.

1 Like

Do you know about trial work periods yet?

I don’t really think there is a set length of time to go back to work that covers everybody. Each person experiences schizophrenia differently, with different degrees of severity. And each person recovers at a different pace. Using myself as an example I spent 8 months locked up in the psychiatric hospital when I was 21. I got out and 9 months later I got a job. It may take you a longer or shorter amount of time to be employed.

A trial work period is a way for someone to test the waters and try working and see how much you can handle. You can try working full time or part time and still receive benefits and if you find after 6 months or 9 months that you are comfortable with working then maybe try getting off SSDI.

If you try working and going off SSDI, I believe (but I’m not sure) that for half a year or so, Social Security will keep your case “on their books” so if you suddenly can’t work or things go bad you can immediately get back on SSDI without having to go through the whole process of reapplying and filing a new claim. You could double-check this with Social Security.

I worked for two days a week for a couple of years, and gradually shifted it up a day until now I do five days.

It’s pretty good. I struggle with stress and motivation a lot, but I soldier through it all.

Your decision. It is possible if you get into a good place

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.