How have your symptoms changed over time?

Have they gotten better or worse? Have you needed more or less medication?

2 Likes

I needed more meds as my symptoms progressed.

I first got sza in 2002 and by 2007 better and med free
Five years later relapse
2012-2022 gotten worse. Maybe my fault as I wasn’t med compliant a lot

I was on one med in 2013
Two in 2015
Three in 2019
Four in 2021
And now five. But the pdoc wants to wean me off one of the antidepressants as the other is working better and the two making me hypomanic

1 Like

Less symptoms today. Holistic approach works for me. Life changes plus experience/age/maturity plus change in medication.

2 Likes

They have definately improved from first dx at 29 to my current 52. I don’t know whether it’s age or not but they have improved and I’m down to probably the floor of my meds. ie as low as I can go whilst getting the odd symptoms. I think from mid 40’s I started to see a marked improvement.

2 Likes

That’s nice to hear, gives me some hope

No positives just negative symptoms on a low dose

2 Likes

My symptoms have mostly gotten worse over the years, most significantly my cognitives.

I have required larger doses of meds over time. I just had my schizoaffective subtype diagnosis changed in March from depressive to bipolar type, so I’m in the process of increasing Lamictal from 100 to probably 300 mg if not more. My psych nurse said I could potentially go to 400 before we stop.

I’m also on 12 mg of Invega, which is the max recommended dose.

2 Likes

My symptoms got better after being medicated. I was diagnosed in November 2020. I still hear a voice, but it’s the constant intrusive thoughts that are a problem. I don’t think intrusive thoughts are Sz though. I’m going to ask my pdoc about it.

2 Likes

I didn’t have paranoia at first. I was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic because of delusions of grandeur. I got paranoia after going off my medicine a couple of weeks.

1 Like

The years have been a roller coaster of up and down, but right now I’m doing better than I have in the last 5 years. Yay for clozapine. I also finally started with a therapist that I actually like and she helps me deal realistically with my problems and doesn’t try to shove DBT down my throat.

1 Like

I was probably dealing with the symptoms like for 8 to 9 years prior being medicated i don’t have many problems now. At least thats what i think, as long as i avoid triggers im doing ok.

1 Like

Well, when I first got sick at age 19 my disease put me in a group home for more than a year, followed immediately by an 8 month stay in a psychiatric hospital. I felt like I was going to go stark raving mad at any second for those first two years. Of course I couldn’t work or go to school.

When I got out of the hospital I moved into another group home where I stayed for a year. During that time my symptoms started getting incrementally better and 9 months after leaving the hospital I got a job. I stayed at that job four years, still symptomatic. I relapsed when I was 28 and it was pretty horrible but not as bad as my initial break. It took me a year to recover and then came more jobs and school. My last hospitalization was in 1989 and then I slowly got better.

Around 2001 when I was 42 my disease got noticeably better. It got less intense and a few delusions went away. I got better over the years. I stayed out of the hospital 25 years until 2015 when I had a two day stay. But when I got out I got back on track and now at age 61 my disease is not that bad. I have peace of mind sometimes and my mind slows down. I am a 100 times better than when I first got sick and I’m able to hold down a job and take online classes.

2 Likes

I’m really happy to hear you’re doing better now, that’s a great story. I envy your improved health lol

1 Like