How do you really feel about your children? And if you don't have them, how do you feel about that?

I always wanted kids but really I would not be able to take care of them the way they’d need. I watched my older sisters kid and it took only a few hours to realize I could never do it.

Also my psychiatrist told me I should not have kids because of how often I’m either psychotic or manic.

I wish I was different though and I could have them.

But I am still young so who knows what will happen in the future.

5 Likes

I like kids, to old now but they can be a joy. Don’t have the energy anymore for them, maybe a one on one babysit but that’s about it

4 Likes

I’m not the kind of woman who dreamed of having kids. I got pregnant irresponsibly. But as soon as I knew I was pregnant, I felt blessed by God. I was amazed that my body was going to create an entire new person.
When my son was born, I felt an accomplishment and strength I had never felt before, and a depth of love and sense of protection that empowered me.
That was almost 26 years ago, and through everything that has happened, he’s been my greatest everything.
I would destroy the earth for my son. Luckily I don’t have to.

4 Likes

I love my kids but having five a year apart was stressful. They are older now and our conversations are more intellectual. I’m enjoying them much more now.

4 Likes

I’m not capable of dealing with disciplinary issues. I can’t deal with crying and behavioral problems.

I had surgery and now no longer worry about it.

1 Like

I loved it! The best feeling in the world was when I came home. They would run to me and yell daddy daddy. It’s almost like I was a celeb.

4 Likes

No kids for me but there was a period when I was married that we were trying to have kids.
She was physically incapable of becoming fertile.

My marriage ended up in divorce and she turned out to be a sociopath.

It’s for the best.

4 Likes

I love being a mom. I had 1 child and we went through hard times together while she was very sick and in excruciating pain for the first 6 years of her life, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I’m so proud of her. I now have 2 step kids and although they can be trying at times since they test boundaries I’m still happy to have them. I love being a mom

4 Likes

Me and my partner have talked about how we want a daughter. Either through adoption or he would give his stuff for insemination (I don’t want to pass on my multitude of genetic disorders also I would love to have my kid look like him lmao) also if we had a boy we wouldn’t be disappointed

2 Likes

I used to be near desperate to be having kids when I was younger.
Now I don’t want them.
I do love kids, I used to work with kids, and that’s why I don’t want them. I’ve seen firsthand how, even on toddlers, the quirks, habits and reactional patterns of the adults in their life tend to rub off on them. I don’t want a mini-me, I can barely handle the me I’ve got!
I also doubt I’d be able to tolerate the stress. What good am I as a parent if I’m in and out of hospitals and/or psychotic for most of the child’s life? A child needs a stable parent.

I have no doubt that if I wasn’t sz I’d make a loving, nurturing parent. But even without sz, there’s my other illnesses giving me increased risk of miscarraige and trouble getting pregnant in general.
I’ve had one miscarriage, you couldn’t pay me a million dollars to go through another one.

Adoption is always an option.
Maybe when I’m older, further in recovery, and have a steady partner I’ll try to foster or adopt.

3 Likes

Also, I think people should have to pass a multitude of test in order to be allowed to have children.
Including emotional assesment, maturity level, intelligence tests, and “are you an arsehole” kinds of test.

1 Like

My best self wants like 2-3 kids. Feels like a big part of my biological imperative, and part of a legacy I want to leave behind. I don’t want to die with regrets.

My current self doesn’t want much of anything but mental and health stability though.

3 Likes

Becoming a new parent was stressful and overwhelming at times…and I had two at once.

But every stage gets better. You give up so much of your own self when you have kids, but the rewards are all over the place.

You get to vicariously relive your own childhood again…see your kids blossom into young adults…and marvel at their innate gifts and talents.

I don’t regret having kids. But my bank account? Well, that’s another story. :wink:

6 Likes

I feel I am missing out not raising kids, but I feel that if it was supposed to happen it would have done by now.

Will adopt if I ever can afford a house (I live in a flat)

My mother is 57 now, and I am her only biological child. My step sister has given her grandkids, but I have not. Kinda feels like I should have them for her, but I don’t think it will happen I’m afraid

:pensive:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about it for a few years on and off but is it possible? I can no longer handle 2 jobs if I have a baby and I need the income.

I am on heavy medication. There is no way I can stop it. It’s gonna be a complicated pregnancy. If I didn’t take pills and have Scz I’d def try but I’m worried about harming the baby.

Other than that after having the baby how will I handle the pressure of taking care it. It’s gonna be difficult.

2 Likes

I dont have them and i dont think i want them… neither does my partner … i feel it might be a stress i can do without for me, plus i like travelling and moving around to travel or even settle is easier without kids

3 Likes

I haven’t given it a lot of thought. Taking ap’s makes it hard. I wonder how I would cope when life already is difficult as it is. But if it happened I guess I would do what I could to be good parent. I’m not planning for it in any way though, but you never know…it all depends what happens next.

2 Likes

I think kids are awesome.

I probably won’t have any of my own, but ya never know who you’ll meet in the future.

Imagine, little Montezuma’s running around! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

I was almost a father once but the woman didn’t want the baby so i just supported her in her decision…I regret it still though…that baby would be a grown woman now…or man…I was a step dad for seven years so I feel like I helped someone out as a dad…he hates my guts now though…little ■■■■…

3 Likes

I used to think schizophrenics shouldn’t have kids because it’s too risky to pass down. Then I realized that came from my place of already having kids. I now say sz should have atleast one kid under the right conditions. So if you want a kid — GO FOR IT.

1 Like