How do you justify eating animal products when they feel pain

It’s easily justified. We are animals. Have you seen what animals do in the wild to their prey/food ? It’s not a pleasant death for them and sometimes they play with their food while it’s half dead before eating it.

3 Likes

Sometimes I think plant protein breaks down and turns into muscle faster than animal protein. Gorillas have a diet only of plants, and they are very strong. But as for humans eating animals, they usually kill those animals fairly humanely. Maybe if they wanted to be more humane they could use a chemical to bewilder the animal before it is slaughtered.

1 Like

I feel this too

But at same time, I just feel so… Dead when I don’t eat animal.

1 Like

It’s an evolutionary imperative. We are engineered to eat me. Every species feels pain, that includes us, yet animals have no such moral quandary when it comes to what they eat. We’re nothing more than sophisticated animals. Thus, I have no problem eating meat even though animals feel pain.

1 Like

I was raised vegetarian from birth until i was about 12 years old. Was very anaemic and felt a lot of brain fog until i ate steak here and there. I also think eating the flesh of living creatures is kinda badass. I see it as similarly cool as the vampire myths and stories. Except obviously a lot more socially acceptable haha. I think i just feel healthier, stronger, more full for longer and clearer minded when eating meat regularly. And i swear i get almost high after a nice medium rare steak. I feel thats because i was so deprived of it in early life. I dont think its immoral for humans to eat farm animals. They dont even know whats going on half the time. Mostly instinctual.

1 Like

I think the only valid thing to eat is fruits. Because the plants knows we will eat them and poop the seeds.

Plants knows in and out of our human structure.

3 Likes

I was a vegetarian for a year because of this. I realized not a single animal was saved from me doing this. Got some ribs and smashed… Only way I will go back is if I start a Buddhist practice. Probably not what a person “like me” should say but it’s true

1 Like

were u taking iron, and b vitamins, and making sure u were getting enough protein?

1 Like

I wouldnt attempt to justify eating meat because i think its wrong… but i still do it because i like the taste. Ive tried going vegetarian in the past and just cant do it.

I have bad anhedonia and get little pleasure from anything, but one thing i do enjoy is a nice meal… one with meat.

1 Like

Plants may react to being destroyed but they definitely don’t have the capacity to feel pain. They don’t have a brain or central nervous system. There reaction is mechanical. There’s no pain producing mechanism.

Pain is not an inherent reaction to being destroyed. It’s an evolutionarily developed tool that animals and humans have to react to being destroyed. Plants do not have the ability to move or react and thus would have no need for a pain system because it could induce no movement which might save the tree.

Pain is a mechanism to produce movement and quick escape for a being.

4 Likes

Also would be useless in a plant because it cannot move. Evolution is very efficient. It wouldn’t produce this for no reason in addition to this there’s no physical evidence of it in the tree to believe this.

In evolution, If you don’t use it you lose it.

And plants have no use for pain.

3 Likes

My view is plants Animals life and organisms naturally eat others.

It’s a balancing act that keeps earth alive

But with humans. We are revolved and can disrupt nature by over consumption.

I think there is a reason why many cultures stayed true to respecting nature and the animals they ate cause if they abused them. They can be out of food if the animal goes extinct. Not a problem now with manufacturing animals.

I am vegetarian as a personal choice cause I don’t have to. And I think mammals have similar brains to us. I think animals that reproduce do love and care for their offsprings including from chickens to cows.

2 Likes

I eat it because it tastes good and I am un disciplined in having a diet. I did feel bad and guilty when I saw the cute cows at the pumpkin patch a couple years ago.

2 Likes

I don’t. I just do it. Let’s be honest, unless you actively torture a being killing something doesn’t require that much pain and it’s not like they aren’t going to experience the pain of death anyway, it’s the circle of life. If their life was worth living, then there’s no issue with their death for me. The pain of death isn’t the issue I have with meat production but how these animals often live. Then again how many humans live because of other humans is equally tragic in my eyes, myself included for the vast majority of my life, and not being killed to be eaten isn’t going to improve my life experience in any noticeable fashion. Do you really think that if a cannibal came around and killed you your life experience would sustain any significant damage? No, if it was worth living before it will stay worth living, you just won’t be able to live it anymore.

2 Likes

This editorial speaks for me:

https://www.177milkstreet.com/magazine/january-february-2024/editors-note

:blush:

3 Likes

Same way animals justify killing and eating us.

5 Likes

Yeah, we should start eating predators and leave the poor cows and pigs alone. :thinking: :rofl:

3 Likes

Lol you always have the funniest answers bro
I heard of a vegan lion once tho :smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

the american dietic association has stated that a well planned vegan diet is safe and nutrtionally adequate for humans in all life stages, including infancy, pregnancy and old age.

2 Likes