How do you deal with paranoia?

I’ve never experienced so much paranoia in my life! How on earth do you get rid of it??!

I mean, I know I have reason to be scared, but it’s not like it helps anything… I just want to ease it a little, just so it’s bearable.

Good coping mechanisms, anyone?

Edit: I’m on antidepressants but no antipsychotics (yes I realise this is bad), and I don’t think that’s going to change any time soon.

1 Like

I’m diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia so being paranoid is part of the disease. The only treatment is antipsychotics (for me anyway).

1 Like

:frowning: that’s a real shame!

:smile: not really. I dont feel paranoid when on meds (99.9% of the time).

1 Like

I actually find lexapro helps with the paranoia more than the antipsychotics but that’s just me.

Thanks, might mention that to my GP

1 Like

When I’m paranoid I try to put it in the back of my mind and damp it down. Geodon and Seroquel make a big difference. It helps to not be alarmed by what you’re thinking. Tell yourself that the paranoia goes with the disease of sz, and it’s probably not real.

3 Likes

For me the meds don’t really get rid of the initial paranoid notion but they do mitigate my reaction to it.

What is your reaction on/off meds, if you don’t mind me asking?
I personally just tend to freeze and can’t always do or say much for a while…

1 Like

Off meds I freak out. Really intense paranoia and desperate anxiety at the same time. On meds I am a lot more tranquil and no big reaction (overreaction).

1 Like

it helps me to remember that everything is exagerated by your brain. You have a reason to be scared, but your fears are being multiplied. Time helps A LOT so distract yourself. Each day that passes by where nothing happens is another day that shows you you’re still safe. Not a day closer to something happening.

I don’t take any APs but find that anxiety meds help with my paranoia a lot. The only other solution I’ve found is doing my utmost to relax: baths, walks, quiet music, etc.

1 Like

My paranoia centers around very irrational fears related to my delusion. Even though, logically, I know my fears are irrational, I still REALLY believe this horrible crap is going to happen to me. I get very scared.

For me, my AP (I think) helps it. I also use Vistaril for anxiety which can help it a little too. I keep meaning to try meditation also. can’t hurt.

1 Like

I take meds for anxiety and paranoia. They take it all away as long as I stay cought up on my sleep. But I had a long recovery and had an older nurse in the hospital tell me she had never seen anyone so paranoid. So I would say there is hope. A few things that help is to not reacting to your paranoia, try not to do things because of your paranoia. Also I find it helpful to bring your paranoid thoughts up to someone that will honestly give you there opinion. Sometimes I would check into those things that I’m paranoid about pretty soon you will see that there is a pattern being that it’s usually always the paranoia. My problem would be I would get delusions with the paranoia and lots of fear. So what I found worked for me was that I would take it to God and trust in him for the out come, good or bad I put it in his hands and would be willing to accept the outcome whatever it may be.

2 Likes

I’m in an intensive outpatient program and onetime I got really paranoid. I thought one of the people attending group was going to shoot me. I went in a nice safe room with my therapist and talked to her for one hour. Going to a nice safe room and talking to someone sure helps and it doesn’t have to be a therapist it could be family or even a friend.

2 Likes