How do I cope with this?

My 11 year old dog passed away 3 days ago. I had him my whole life essentially, we grew up together in a way (I was 9 when I got him as a 3 month old pup, I’ll be 22 this year). I feels so so so empty. I feel like there is a gaping hole in my heart.

My home feels completely different. I walk upstairs and I don’t see him looking out the window, or laying on the deck, or playing with his toys, or when he would wake me up by trying to jump on my bed to cuddle. I could go on and on. He had the biggest and wildest personality and everyone loved him.

It honestly feels like someone is taking a pick axe to my chest. I’ll start crying and I can’t stop. I literally drop to my knees. The fact that I’ll never see him looking outside waiting to run in and greet me, it kills me.

He was my best friend and I feel so lost. A huge piece of me is missing now and every little thing reminds me of him.

And on top of it, I didn’t expect this to happen so soon honestly. He has been in excellent health condition his whole life and he was spry even as a little old man. He always had tons of energy. It wasn’t until March he started getting weird symptoms and we found out he was anemic. He’d act sick a few days, then seem fine, then be symptomatic again.

This whole process has just been very difficult to cope with. This year has been rough in other ways too and this feels like the breaking point. I lost my grandma at the end of January, I lost my job in February and now I lost my best pal.

Does anyone have any tips on how to cope with their pets dying? I’m very sensitive and will start crying at the drop of a hat but I still need some help :frowning: thank you sorry this was long

5 Likes

I lost 3 pets in the span of a year. 2 of them were old and had been battling health issues for a while so their losses were expected and one what I thought would be a fixable not a big deal problem ended up not responding to any treatment and turned into a lethal one and her death was really really hard on me. I think loss is a lot harder if you are not expecting it.

For me when I lose pets (I’ve lost them before too) I have to do a sort of cleanse and not look at or have anything to do with anything that reminds me of them. Then over time as the wounds start to heal, I may do something to commemorate their memory like I made a little shrine to my dog on my dresser with her collar and in art class I drew the portraits of the pets I lost which made me feel a lot better too, like I was honoring them.

Everyone deals with grief differently though. I’m really sorry you lost your friend.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you lost your best friend. It’s early in the morning where I am and I was just looking at pictures of my past pets over the years before I came onto this forum. When a pet passes away I am overwhelmed with grief. Give yourself time to grieve and accept the feelings that you have. Reaching out and talking about your feelings is good. Remember the good times and how he had such a great life with you and that he was loved so much. You’ll get through this.

1 Like

It’s important to remember that it’s okay to grieve.
Pets or humans, we love them, and when we lose them, it’s natural to feel sad, as well as the other feelings that come with grief.

When I’ve lost pets, I’ve taken a day to commemorate them. Look at pictures and think of memories with them, and allow myself to cry that day for as much as I’ve needed without fighting it.

I’m so sorry for your loss -hugs-

4 Likes

Maybe after you feel like you have grieved enough you can get another puppy. He won’t replace your old dog, but he can give you love and companionship in his own way.

2 Likes

In many ways, losing a pet (especially one that is your best friend) is harder than losing a human family member. I am so sorry for your loss - your boy is now resting peacefully over rainbow bridge.

I need some sleep now, but I will reply again tomorrow to point you in the right direction with how to cope and adapt. But please understand that you will get through this

1 Like

@arrgghh. I’m so sorry that your dog passed away. It can be really difficult to adjust to, especially if your dog was your constant companion.

I remember when my Labrador retriever passed away four years ago. She was 14 but her death was still somewhat unexpected. I remember it was almost unbearable to be in the house alone without her. She used to follow me around so it was very sad not to feel her constant presence.

The grief does get better, but it takes time. I’m really sorry for your loss.

3 Likes

My heart goes out to you
Yes getting another dog would be good he doesn’t replace your dog but giving a lovely home to another animal is a positive thing

I agree with Moonbeam about how it takes time. I’m not sure how long it took me to get over my mother’s passing, but it was years.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I do understand what you are going through. I have lost two dogs in my past. It will get easier over time. But I know hearing that doesn’t help much. I got another dog after a while and it really helped fill the void. What was your dogs name?

I know this might seem callous, but don’t shut out the idea of replacing him with a new pup. The nature of life is that old life dies while new life grows. It is normal.

My cat is 15 and a half now. I know my day is coming.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.