Schizophrenia.com

How dependent are you?

Although i live independently i think i have quite a dependent personality. I was much more relaxed and less anxious when my wife was alive and well and the primary decision maker.

1 Like

I admit I am VERY dependent. Sure, I can drive to work, do my list, check on what I have to check on, answer my work e-mails, clean the green houses and take notes on the plants and look after them. I can look at the plans for spring, check on the gardens, mow the fields and drive home.

But it’s my sis who manages the money and does the banking and bill paying. It’s my sis who talks me out of my delusions and paranoia. It’s my sis who sets my meds out for me and is teaching me how to cook. It’s my sis who gets me out of the house to see cousins and other people.

Yes, I have my own flat, I can work full time with a flex schedule. But I am very dependent on my family to help me through my day.

0 Likes

since my husband died i’ve become a little more independent because i’ve had to. whereas b4 i would phone him or my parents if something went wrong with the house or car, i now tend to get it sorted myself. i like that. it makes me feel good. i’ve always been good with money so paying bills isn’t an issue, just wish that i did more around the house and cooked healthy meals more often. still there’s always time to learn these things.

0 Likes

since my husband died i’ve become a little more independent because i’ve had to. whereas b4 i would phone him or my parents if something went wrong with the house or car, i now tend to get it sorted myself. i like that. it makes me feel good. i’ve always been good with money so paying bills isn’t an issue, just wish that i did more around the house and cooked healthy meals more often. still there’s always time to learn these things.

0 Likes

My husband died April of 2012 and i am finally getting more independent but i miss him being able to tell me if things are real or not. I have to ask my good neighbor who is also my closest friend. She checks on me if she doesn’t hear from me every few days.If she doesn’t see my puppies outside she calls me or comes over if i don’t answer the phone.

Plus my inlaws are always there when i need help but i can pay my own bills online. And i can keep my doctors appointments by using the bus for handicapped people. My drugstore delivers my meds to my house. So i am dependent for some things but more independent on others.

i miss my husband :frowning:

0 Likes

I am dependent on SSI and food stamps, as well as Medicaid. I am also dependent on my parents for a place to live. I am independent in driving to my doctor’s appointments, as well as school and the pharmacy. I also handle my own money (what little I have of it).

0 Likes

I used to be dependent on my ex wife who helped me stay relatively sane…I still talk to her on the phone and it helps with crazy ideas I have, kinda’ talks me down…my mom visits often now that I’m on my own…I went nuts and spent too much money (again) this month so my mom helps with errands and groceries as she can…makes me feel stupid…I need support…thank God for the women in my life that help me or I would really be in trouble…

0 Likes

I’m dependent on the government assistance for housing, ssdi, medicaid. I dont think i could live without it.

0 Likes

I’m very dependent on the money my government gives me, and my medical care. I live by myself so I have to be independent on all other things.

Peace be with you Ridgerunner

0 Likes